"Outside The Box" Engine Company Operations

Engine Company work is often viewed as easy or not as fulfilling as "Truck Company work". This is absolutely not the case and some very "high speed" Engine Companies go to work everyday in very tough and arduous environments. They are only successful by relying on their relentless training, personal experiences and hunger to progress in the engine world.

This group is geared toward Engine Company tactics that use "outside the box" thinking to accomplish. Its purpose is to exchange information that will help others that view the discussions, posts and pictures. 

Hose Racks

Many say that your company will be judged on your ability to recover at a significant incident. Hose Racks, although often used for stand-pipe operations, can be a life saver when needed to extend a line, no matter the environment (high-rise or not). What does your department have in-place for "hose racks"? What uses have you had? What do you carry in the "racks" (spanners, nozzles, etc.)?

• up

Larry Glover

On our engine at work we have 1--50' bundle of 1 3/4" and 2--50' bundles of 2 1/2" on top of the rig.  As for what we would consider "our rack" we have 100' of 1 3/4" with an Akron Turbojet Fog (break apart) nozzle in a cleveland bundle attached to our 3" dead load with a gated wye.  We consider this load as our "inaccessible area hose load/apartment load". 

• up

Justin Renner

I'm a big fan of what you refer to as "hose racks" recently I have made a push to stop looking at the high rise pack as just for high rise and making it a multi-purpose hose load that can be used for stand pipe ops, leader lines, verticle stretchs, hose extension etc. etc. Basicly all I've done is have a side by side load comprised of 50' cleveland style and 50' minuteman style 1 3/4". It is able to meet the needs of several different tactics and stratagize. I tried to post pictures of it to illustrate what I'm talking aobut but not sure how too. I'm holding it in my profile picture. always looking for a way to make a hose load better.we are also implementing a seperate "hose rack" kit. nothing out of this world just the basics, in-line PSI gauge, wrenches, wedges, adapters, just the norm.