Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I'm curious to see what other departments have to say about the first in companies responsibilites to a fire in the rural water setting. By rural water I mean anywhere you may go that does not have a reliable, available water system. What is the first due assignment (engines, tenders, aerials, squads) and what are the specific events that happen when the first company pulls up in terms of setting up and maintaining a water supply. Looking foward to some very dynamic discussion on this subject.

Views: 358

Replies to This Discussion

HAS anyone use a Peri-Jet eductor unit?? Off to another thought what are folks using for getting rough flows from some of the smaller streams and or brooks (OOPS! forgot some folks call um CREEKS)?? cubic feet and convert to GPMs or checking with the "fish police" and using some of their numbers( that's DNR or Fish and GAME people)??? well keep your stick on the ice! Wayne
We are in a somewhat similar situation, as an Officer if I am in the lead Engine or we get a confirmation of a working fire, we ask for a minimum of 3 Tenders to be toned out as soon as possible due to distances that separate our Stations.
I agree with those saying that it is critcal to have those units rolling as soon as possible, you can always stand them down if not needed.
Depending on the fire size & location our SOG is to drop our portable pool that goes with our Tender & get the water supply set up & running while the lines are being stretched.The downside to this operation is it is manpower heavy & takes time as the pool must be opened up & held at the corners until filled with enough water to allow it to stand on it's own.
We recently have started using more Tender to engine direct nurse operations as it seems to be quicker & obviously needs less people to set up. I find some of the operations & techniques described in this discussion very interesting & will take it to our training people to test out with our equipment. My question is what are the biggest problems encountered during nurse op's? Thanks for your help.

William Anderson said:
Anytime you get into a rural water operation I think its extremely important to get the help on the road early. Another key element is using the appropriate size attack line for the fire. My station houses both an engine and a tender (the engine carries 700 gallons and the tender carries 3000 gallons). If you pull a 2 1/2 inch attack line at 300 gpm you have a little over 12 minutes of water available before you run out.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service