Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Fire Law Forum with Legal Experts Discussions (12)

← Back to Fire Law Forum with Legal Experts
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

24-48 w/ 3 day and 6 day vacay question.

Hey Guys,   My department has run into a few problems lately with how the brass is treating us. We have a question that maybe some of you…

Started by Brandon Lane

0 Jun 22, 2014

Restricted from working based on BMI

The chief wants to restrict people from working based on body mass index >40. Is this legal or is weight a protected class by the ADA ?

Started by Mike Lynn

0 Feb 15, 2013

Evaluating Firefighter Performance

While I have had to formally evaluate people since I was first promoted, the importance of the process (or maybe the potential importance)…

Started by Ryland Kendrick

0 Feb 13, 2013

Expectation of privacy? Search warrents needed?

Three crew members from different shifts share a bunk room and store their personal and work stuff in them.  One of the members falls under…

Started by Larry Lasich

1 Aug 9, 2011
Reply by David "Chip" Comstock Jr.

Fire Departments and Control of Social Network sites

My fire department recently adopted a policy that appears to restrict all use of the District and Department names in any way on the intern…

Started by John Lottes

8 May 9, 2011
Reply by John Lottes

What happens when...

you are asked to provide a document or presentation that describes the services and capabilities of your department to an insurance company…

Started by Larry Lasich

1 Nov 12, 2010
Reply by Larry Lasich

Non Union Departments

How do non union departments protect the firefighters from dismissal? Todd McKee

Started by Todd McKee

5 Oct 23, 2009
Reply by Brad Pinsky

Photos on web sites

Fire departments are increasingly posting photos (and videos) of fires, auto accidents and other significant (or interesting) incidents. Li…

Started by Steve Blackistone

0 Sep 5, 2009

suspensions without due process

Brad, What is the legal status of a suspension for doing your job as an officer according to policy and not being allowed to tell your sid…

Started by Dennis E Sampson

7 Feb 26, 2009

NFPA Standards and their legal powers

I am looking for opinions as to the true legal application of NFPA standards. Can they be used with the power of law? do they truly provide…

Started by Barry Aptt

4 Feb 26, 2009

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service