Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Used a smoke barrel yesterday at our training tower, and worked great. Wanting to know what everyone's thoughts/facts/info on using the smoke barrel in a seperate area of the training tower. Our tower has 2 burn rooms, one on the main floor and one on the second floor. The rest of the tower is metal construction. I used the burn barrel right in the front entry (out of the way of egress)on the main floor and had a hoseline with me to keep the straw from flaring up. My concern is this: the nay-sayers are going to squak that the smoke barrel should be placed in the burn room where the burning is taking place and I am looking for guidance on how to approach this. Thanks,
Chad Cox

Views: 2419

Replies to This Discussion

Tony Piontek said:
I have plans for a propane fired hay burner, I can send it to you if you wish. Produces great smoke and heat, actually will create a heat signature that a tic can view fairly well. It's easier to stoke and keep producing heat, but MUST be manned at all times for obvious reasons, as well as placed properly within the building.
Mark Omasta said:
Tony Piontek said:
I have plans for a propane fired hay burner, I can send it to you if you wish. Produces great smoke and heat, actually will create a heat signature that a tic can view fairly well. It's easier to stoke and keep producing heat, but MUST be manned at all times for obvious reasons, as well as placed properly within the building.
Please send my way! We have good use from the propane fed straw barrel but need some more options for the 2nd floor, etc. Please give me a shout! chadsworthks@yahoo.com
316-250-0544

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service