Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hello Brothers,

I am looking if anyone has a picture of a halligan that has been modified to be a lock puller. The modification was usually made by grinding and filing an "A" type lockpuller into the adz end of the halligan. I would like to use the picture for an upcoming "Online Drill" for the Brotherhood Instructors web page. I would give anyone who is willing to give me a picture full credit in the article for their contribution.

The article is going to be an in-depth look at the history of through the lock forcible entry.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brothers,
Andrew Brassard

Views: 908

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Bro,

I cut an "A" tool into the adz of a bar for a fire program...let me see if I have a picture of it floating around. On-duty, I'll look tomorrow.

Stay safe,
Jamie
That would be great brother!!

I have to ask...... how do you like having the "A" tool in the adz?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew
Personally I do not, but that is me and everyone needs to look at all of their options and find what works best for them. I do not like the Pro Bar modified in any manner other than squaring off the corners of the top of the fork. It is not an absorbant amount of material removed but I can feel the difference and it just felt "unbalanced" in my hands. Tom Brennan was an advocate of doing this and that was the driving factor in trying it out after reading it in Random Thoughts. I am neither for or against cutting an "A" tool into the adz. It does create some advantages. Also If someone is going to do this I'd reccommend tracing the pattern from a manufactured "A" tool, carefully using a saws-all to cut it and do all of the finish work and beveling with a good hand file. Save the piece that is removed, if you don't like the modification a good welding shop can replace it. Not to mention the tips were sharp and seemed to poke myself constantly. Sammy Hittle (Witchita FD) has a technique using a unmodified adz to remove the Adams lock cylinder that works for the few time that we'd do this and not have a "K" or "A" tool available.

Andrew Brassard said:
That would be great brother!!

I have to ask...... how do you like having the "A" tool in the adz?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew
A lot of depts modify the halligan by cutting an 'A' Tool into the adz. I recommend if you are going to do it, have the halligan made with the 'A' Tool all ready in it. The angles of the bevels will be correct! And the adz will be strong!
Jamie,

I thanks for the info brother.

I am not for or against the "A" tool being modified into the adz either, I just like the normal feel of the halligan the way that it is. I also square off the shoulder of the halligan it makes a huge difference when forcing in limited/zero visibility and in tight spaces. I also carry a modified Rex Tool http://brotherhoodinstructors.com/wordpress/?p=81 so I really have no need for the "A" tool to be modified into the adz. I just wanted to know if you used it and what your thoughts and experiences with it.

Rick,

Where can you order a halligan that has an "A" tool in the adz?

Thanks Brothers

Stay Safe
Andrew
-I really like the ingenuity and judging by the photos, the tools created look like quality items; pretty stout. But it does raise a question for me.
-If you need a lock puller, why not just bring the A Tool along for the job? Wouldn't that be easier than fabricating?
-Be safe,
Michael
If you need a lock puller, why not just bring the A Tool along for the job? Wouldn't that be easier than fabricating?

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. The reason that I carry a "Morris Tool" as apposed to just carrying an "A" Tool is because my department is ridiculously short staffed and I only have two hands. I usually carry a set of irons and a saw if I am assigned to force entry in a commercial building, I don't have room to carry a lock pulling tool in my hand. Having a lock puller in my pocket will allow me to carry an additional forcible entry tool all the time, when I need it is right there. For the average sanely staffed department carrying a "A" Tool would probably be a better option.

Thanks and Stay Safe,
Andrew
I love this, it is much lighter than a K-tool, more compact, and can be used on a multitude of locks (that the K-tool does not work well on). Knowing what it was like to work on understaffed companies, it is ingenuity like this that allows those in an understaffed situation to accomplish what their fully staffed counterparts do with traditional means. The majority of one-person techniques and multi-use equipment came from firefighters that deal with staffing on a daily basis. This is just another great addition to the cause that all firefighters can benefit from.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service