Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

started this group so we can discuss all things fire
will try to stay on top of this
no limit to discussions here
wiilling to talk about any and everything
love to talk tactics and hear about creative solutions to wierd concerns that you dedicated fire service pros have encountered
great to see old friends and newe ones signing on
cannot overemphasize the need to share info in this biz
keep it real
get em in safe
work em safe
get em out safe
God Bless A

AA

Views: 138

Replies to This Discussion

Nice to meet you Anthony. Now for tactics!
Here is my dilemma - we respond and work with between 4 and 10 or so on the first alarm, in a town with 2 colleges, business districts, 3 residential high rises 7 stories or more, factories, and other such hazard sites. We have an ongoing discussion "should the OIC of the crew mask up and enter with the men or take the IC position outside"?

OK, now I know all about Command, accountability, safety, and the like. However, others stick with the "First in, Last out" theory and assign the IC to the next incoming officer (which can be a bit of a delay). I can honestly say that our officers make this call day-in-day-out with great skill. Their first thought is toward the well-being of the men he is responsible for, and we have had no close calls or quiet mumbling about bad decisions (as far as I know).

I would really like to know what you folks think.
not sure who is eventally the IC. Is there a Chief on the response? If not, then something should be worked out by SOP
Where i work in North Hudson and in most dept's in the area, if a Comp Off is 1st on scene, he establishes command and goes right to work, utilizing a mobile command. Whether he is in the invesdtigative mode or stretching a line makes no difference. He does, however, have the option of giving command to a more senior officer provided that officer is on scne (this is rarely done)
this is because we have specific initial scene assignment sops and he is best supervising the initial interior operaiton, so his command is a mobile one. We have a luxury because the BC is usually not too far behind and will assume command and take a stationary position in the street. If it is a worker, the DC will respond, get a briefing and assume command. The BC then usually becomes the intierior division commander and goes inside to supervise there
The concern arises where no chief officer responds and a "working" officer who responds with a company will be in command for an extended period of time. Does he stay in the street or go with his company? This must be decided on a local level but must be in place and enforced so confusion and command battles are not the result
There is no real right or wrong way of doing this provided that someone remains at the CP at some point. It does not have to be the first company officer, but it must be one of the initial arriving CO's if no Chief is responding. To that end, a mechanism shoud be in place that directs that policy, whether it be the 1st officer on scene or the senior officer. Personally, i think company officers should be with thier company and proper command supervision should be the responsibility of an officer not asigned to a company. It is best as a Chief, but does not necessarily have to be one
That's just my slant on it
The pint to make is that someone better be in command at all times and the more transfers you make, the more confusing (and chaotic) it may get
stay safe
aa
I agree, and thanks for the input. Just to clear things up a bit, we have a very flat structure and run from 1 station. Our Chief is directly above the shift Captain and is not at all fires. When he is, he usually does not take command, but assists the initial IC instead. So, in a nutshell, the initial IC is the man (or woman) who runs the show. We also have a LT on each shift, and he gets assigned by the OIC where needed. To be honest, we have probably had every combination of officer assignments you can think of, which is the crux of my problem. The good news is I think we have some good officers, but the method of command structure can vary from one fire to the next. Like any other department, we all have our opinions and have tended to "not open that can of worms" to sort this out.
Sometimes you don't ask the question for fear of not liking the answer.
Okay Chief,

I need all of the right answers for the upcoming oral portion of the captains test (LOL). As I type this, I just put down your book. I've been sleeping with it under my pillow. See ya in Indy.

Art
good luck
hope it helps
someone told me they put it in a blender and drank it -- it was bland
still another smoked it in a bong

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service