Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Scenario #9

The time is 1700 hours. A fire has been reported in a 28 story fire-resistive high rise. The building is of center core construction with the apartments on the perimeter and the utilities, stairwells, a compactor chute, and elevators in the center core. There are two elevators in this building. There are also two enclosed stairwells, with standpipes located in both. Both stairwells serve the roof. There are fire department connections on both the B side and D side of the building. The system is interconnected.
The interior of the apartments is of masonry walls, ceilings, and floors. The doors are steel. They are set in steel frames that are set in the masonry hall wall. Each apartment unit has its own HVAC unit.
There is a 24 hour doorman and a staff of porters and maintenance personnel around the clock. The alarm panel and annunciator is located at the doorman desk in a vestibule. There is also a communication station that allows communication with all the apartments in the building. The alarms are activated. The building is segregated into a 7 zone system where each zone serves 4 floors.
Upon arrival, fire is seen issuing from an apartment balcony area near the upper portion of the building on Side B. The doorman meets you as you get out of the apparatus and tells you the fire is on the 26th floor. The temperature is 92°. The wind is calm. There are many people on the balconies.
You are first to arrive and will be in command of this fire until a Chief Officer arrives.

1. Where would you position the Command Post?
a. In the street on the A side
b. In the Lobby
c. On the floor below the fire
d. On the Charlie side

2. Upon arrival, what would you direct the Engine Chauffeur to do?
a. Connect to the FDC on Side D
b. Connect to the FDC on Side B
c. Take hi-rise pack into building
d. Gain control of the elevators

3. You have placed the elevator in fire service control. To which floor would the elevator be taken to? The annunciator is showing Zone 7.
a. To the 25th floor
b. To the 23rd floor
c. To the 26th floor
d. To the 24th floor

4. In regard to firefighter safety, what would be your greatest concern in the fire apartment?
a. Disorientation
b. High Heat
c. Electricity
d. Stratification

5. How would you address these concerns?
a. Ensure searching firefighters utilize a lifeline to search
b. Strike additional alarms, set up rehab
c. Notify utility company, shut power to apartment and fire floor
d. Utilize positicve pressure blowers on the fire floor

6. You are at the fire apartment. You have encountered a tightly locked door of substantial construction. It also has complicated locks. What action would you take?
a. Apply the through-the-lock method using the bent end key tool
b. Use a battering ram, have a charged line in place
c. Breach the wall adjacent to the door
d. Use the power saw to cut a door in a door

7. What action would you take in regard to evacuation?
a. Designate stairwell on the B side as evacuation stairwell
b. Designate stairwell on the D side as evacuation stairwell
c. Do not designate an evacuation stairwell, protect-in-place
d. Evacuate civilians via the elevator

8. What would be your concern in regard to ventilation?
a. Stratified smoke will require mechanical ventilation
b. Shut down the HVAC system so as not to spread smoke throughout the building
c. Stack effect will likely cause smoke to rise in the stairwells.
d. Reverse stack effect will cause smoke to drop to lower floors.

9. Suppose you are on the attack line and find that the heat is being driven in your direction by a stiff wind, as the windows have blown out. You have decided to back out of the apartment. Which is the best action to take in regard to stream operation?
a. Turn the stream in the direction of the door to protect your own egress. Use wide fog
b. Shut down stream, abandon line, stay low exiting apartment, close door
c. Keep stream operating until you are in a safe area
d. Shut down stream to hasten withdrawal. While backing out, use stream only if needed to protect egress

10. Suppose one of the stairwells was of the pressurized type. What would this stairwell best be utilized for?
A. Attack
B. Evacuation
C. Ventilation
D. Operations Post

Good luck
AA

Views: 1181

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

High rise fires are a "high risk/ low frequency" event, as Gordon Graham would say which makes this a tough one, but I'll take a shot at it.
1. B We have communications there, we are out of the "falling stuff" zone, elevators are there and it's relatively cool and quiet.
2.A Keep the chauffeur, the supply line and the engine out of the "falling stuff" zone.
3. B The doorman could be wrong and if Zone 7 starts at floor 24, the fire could be there. Go to 23 the top of Zone 6 for safety reasons. Besides, the elevator may not take you into that zone due to the alarms.
4. B Hot day, tough fire in an masonary "oven".
5. B see above.
6. C Though it would be some tough work, it keeps the door intact for the longest period of time. If conditions are terrible on the other side of the door/h***, you could make an indirect attack. Of course, if you could get master keys, you could try those first.
7. C Unless, of course the smoke conditions are getting into other apartments, then you might have to evacuate. But masonary compartments, with heavy doors and with each having its own HVAC system make smoke and fire spread less of a concern.
8. D Stack effect is kind of tough to get, but I believe I read "High high, low low, no no!". High temps (92F) on "high" (upper) floors would lead to reverse stack effect. I think!?!
9.C Though you want to get out quick, keep cooling the fire as best you can to ensure you can get out.
10. A If we are "sheltering in place" the pressurized stairwell will help keep the guys in the stairwell out of the smoke. If we are evacuating, that would be my stairwell for evacuation.

Never having had a High rise job myself, this is what I would do.
I will try my hand at this. I do not have any high rise experience so please take it easy on me.

1.B
2.B
3.C
4.B
5.B
6.C
7.C
8.B
9.C
10.B
As i stated above no experience in this. Hopefully i can learn from you guys that have.
Answers to high rise scenario
1 B
2. A -- out of falling glass zone -- note the pic is from the C side vantage point so B & D are seemingy reversed in the pic
3.B -- lowest floor in zone 7 is 25, take to 2 flrs below lowest reported floor (23) even though fire reported on 26 flr
4. B
5. B People put out fires in these bldgs, lots of them -- nuff said
6.C -- attempt to reach in and unlock or apply water depending on conditions
7.B Even thoough we want to PIP as many people as possible, we still have to consider evacs so we need to est this stairwell
8. D high temps , high floor -- will be problematic -- have to be prepared for it
9.C. water is protection
10.B your attack stair usually becomes vent stair too. life hazard #1 priority -- keep smoke out of areas where u want SCBA-less people to go. Maybe you'll get lucky and both will be pressurized

well done
have a safe summer
aa
Dang...I didn't even know this was up.
don't look at the answers!!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service