Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What are you personally doing to support and advocate the NFFF/EGH 16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives? What are your challenges?

Views: 68

Replies to This Discussion

Another excellent question! It's very easy to blame the chief or the city for not getting us the proper tools, staffing, and training to keep us safe, but we can't control what they do. We can, however, control our own actions in the two biggest areas of firefighter deaths; heart disease and traffic accidents. Taking care of one's self physically and mentally help lessen one's risk factors for heart disease. Getting regular physicals, regular exercise and having a proper diet all help. As someone with a family history of heart disease, I try and engage myself in all three of those activities to give my self the best chance possible to avoid heart disease.

As far as traffic safety, I always wear my seat belt and make sure the folks I'm working with wear theirs. I remind the people I work with that they are just as much of a risk to everyone else in the cab if they are unrestrained, and that though we are safe drivers we can't control the other folks on the road. Fire apparatus are not cars and don't handle like them either. We have to go slow and cautious because "Physics always wins."

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service