Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

WHAT’S BEHIND THE RACK?

Can you identify the problem here?
During a recent visit to one of those large home improvement stores, I noticed this.

Although this is probably not that uncommon, it is something that could be very difficult to find out in a smokey envrionment.

This is another reason for getting familiar with your area and the buildings that you protect.

I was visiting as a patron, so I didn’t look around at the entire store, but I am sure there are other issues that I could have found.

Accessing this stand pipe is almost impossible and these systems aren’t always that reliable and shouldn’t be your sole suppression plan. They don’t get maintained and are rarely, if ever flushed and tested.

A tight fit!
But, that doesn’t excuse the blocking of this protection system. One way to find these standpipes is to look for their risers. These stores will typically have two of these at each end of the store.

Notice the riser running behind the rack.?
Have a plan for these large area stores. Know the building and it’s systems so that you aren’t caught off guard.

Preplan these buildings. Know what line your going to pull before you arrive and know the different access points for entry. The front door may not be your best option.

Stay diligent and be safe.

Views: 442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-Hey this looks like perfect placement. What's the problem??? Hahahaha.
-Most likely the only way this would be caught is by a company doing a pre-incident inspection or notice the condition on a call. The FMO may catch it on a building/occupancy inspection but like most communities the FMO is very short staffed compared to the number of occupancies to look at.
-Either way it would be immediately referred to and addressed by the FMO who has the authority to inspect commercial occupancies and enforce all applicable building and fire codes. Citations and fines would be issued.
-In Albuquerque the FMO also has the ultimate authority to close down any occupancy/building and lock it out until compliance is achieved.
The conversion of hose drops in warehouses/big box stores came up at the firehouse the other day. The final questions were whether we would use them? Do we know if they are tested? If we do use them and conditions start to change, we can not follow the hose line out of the building. Under smoke conditions, will we be able to find the hose drops? I think it would be safer and faster to lead out from the engine.
This is a big building. Stretching from the rig is great...have you preplanned the lengths needed? Would you not use a standpipe in a high rise? If nothing else, these hose connections are great for mop up since this is a sprinklered building.

Make sure you get all the built-in fire protection you deserve.
Great points, thanks for the input.
Tom Jacobs said:
This is a big building. Stretching from the rig is great...have you preplanned the lengths needed? Would you not use a standpipe in a high rise? If nothing else, these hose connections are great for mop up since this is a sprinklered building.

Make sure you get all the built-in fire protection you deserve.

Has the business changed?  Was the system designed or changed to fit for the current fire load and occupancy?  Forcing yourself to be working in or near these racks puts you at greater risk with the weight and fire loads they carry. We are there to save lives at put out a fire, but once it is determined that no life hazard other than our own exists these racks are still a hazard zone.  We must come up with a safer and more effective plan of attack.  Even after the fire is out the hazard of collapse still exists.  If you already have an engine hose deployed and in use don’t monkey with what is already working by going to the standpipe for mop up.  Reduce the size of the last length of hose at that point.  I don't think these should ever be used for fire attack they leave you with no point of refuge, path to escape, or path to be found by RIT if conditions rapidly change.  Most times theses standpipes have PRDs designed to restrict the flow for a 1 1/2" hose.  Hose that we should not used by us because its reliability can be in question and the needed GPMs may not be available.  If you have preplanning, good incident analysis, situational awareness and a good size up you should find an entrance and escape path nearest to the fire. An engine lead out will provide you your hose line to get out of the building.

In cases where the standpipe is the only option as in a high rise with stair wells that is what we must use.  If that fails we may have to go well below the fire floor or create our own stand pipe through use of our ladder pipe.   So with that being said if we have to use it and have a point of refuge not having the luxury of an exit hose line connected directly to the engine to find our way out it’s the right application.  I know I have checked my equipment.  I can’t say the same thing for a hose drop standpipe including the additional risks and hazards associated with using a hose drop on the fire floor. I believe that it is a golden rule to only lead out from an engine for ground floor level and basement fires.

Jim Wilk said:
The conversion of hose drops in warehouses/big box stores came up at the firehouse the other day. The final questions were whether we would use them? Do we know if they are tested? If we do use them and conditions start to change, we can not follow the hose line out of the building. Under smoke conditions, will we be able to find the hose drops? I think it would be safer and faster to lead out from the engine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service