Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I have been in some rather heated discussion lately with my chief about how to keep our rear spot lights on our apparatus. I have expressed how there are more benefits to keep the lights on and facing the ground. I have supported this with both the fact that it helps keep traffic from tailgating and it also keeps the rear area of the truck lighted for firefighters walking around the apparatus at night. My chief doesn't want the lights on because there is a Ohio Revised Code that says there are to be no back up lights on when the truck is in forward motion. Every fire department I have seen around Ohio though has had their lights on.

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-Ben you need to follow the law and department SOP's as written and not what others are doing. That being said, rear facing spots are not in fact back up lights and would appear to be exempt. Though this sounds like splitting hairs it is technically correct.
-We do the same thing on my company and turn the rear facing spots on at night and aim for the ground about 15 feet behind the apparatus. It does work well in keeping the tailgaters back.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service