Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Removal of turnouts and cooling of burned firefighters

Looking for info on proper way to cool and remove turn outs of burned FF.

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doug

The simple way: Remove the firefighter from the burning environment; cool the clothing with a hose stream immediately after the firefighter is removed as any trapped heat or flaming clothing continues the burning process (you may create a little steam inside the bunker clothing but the long term effect is positive); pull off or cut off the affected clothing; continue to pour cool water on the burned area. Don't worry about infection at this time as the subsequent treatment will take care of any infectious process. Cover the burn area with sterile drapes or large trauma pads, cover the firefighter with a blanket to prevent hypothermia and transport to a hospital - a burn center is preferable but initially any hospital will do. If the clothing is stuck to the burn site, cut around it, cool with water, cover the area, cover the firefighter and transport.

If the burns involve the airway - these injuries require immediate treatment and transport. O2 should be applied, if paramedics are available, intubation may be required and the firefighter needs immediate hospital attention.

Pain relief - burns hurt like hell. If paramedics are available they should give lots of morphine or give enough until the pain is tolerable. They should also start an IV for fluid replacement and pain management. Cover the area to prevent the nerve endings from the air. DO NOT APPLY ointments or gels. Those will have to be removed at the hospital and it adds to the trauma of the burn.

Hope this little bit of information helps. Be safe

John
Doug, Contact Jason Emory or Frank Ricci through this community. Within the last few months there was an insert in FE print magazize "Doffing Super Heated Turn Out Gear".

I have it posted in my training center. I will see if I can make a copy of it and send it to you.

P.J.
As far as cooling the burned FF.

Our EMS units all carry Water Gel; http://www.waterjel.com/

I have used this first hand as a Paramedic for many years with GREAT success. It's a BLS skill and the only product that I have seen instant cooling and pain relief. Your local protocols should dictate the percentage of burned area that they will allow you to cool. the rule of thumb is no more then 10% as you can cause hypothermia.

Hope this helps,
'
Stay Safe.

P.J.
Training minutes; Season 3, Doffing Super Heated Gear.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service