Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Is there anyone using SuperVac electric positive pressure fans in adjunct with the "Smart System" generator? We have just purchased the fans for each truck and are having trouble with them surging. They work great when plugged into a house current and new generator, but poor response when running them off older generators.
The people at the generator company are great, the technicians at SuperVac...well, not so much.
Any issue ideas or fixes are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kelly J

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are you running for cord from the Smart power to the Super Vac's? Likely you've gone down this road already with the genset people.
Have you watched the webcast of Positive Pressure Attack? The link is located on the bottom of the home page, on the left hand side. The question that I would ask is; why electric fans?
Larry Lasich said:
The question that I would ask is; why electric fans?

I would suggest the reason they are using the electic PPV fans is to cut down on the noise and more importantly trying to reduce putting more CO into an already overloaded environment they are operating in like at a structure fire.
We have tried anything from a short heavy drop cord, using the cord real to plugging it in directly to the truck. Still surging. I understrand the longer the cord the more power we lose.
When we cut on the spot lights or put additional load on the generator, the surging stops. I understand about evening out the 2 output legs of the generator but looks like to me this would not be a problem, as big of a company as supervac is, I am sure someone else has run across this problem.

Adam Miceli said:
What are you running for cord from the Smart power to the Super Vac's? Likely you've gone down this road already with the genset people.
I have watched the webcast and I am a very big advocate for the gas powered fans. They will always have their place on the fire scene. We run these on the pumpers.
However, I feel electric fans do have their place. Such as food on the stove, high rise operations when only 1 apartment needs pressurizing etc.
We purchased these fans to go on the trucks so we would have one of each type on the scene. If we decide to use the gas powered fan we can take it off the pumper. If we need the electric fan, it is there too. Personally, I perfer ppv to smoke ejectors any day. But that is my opinion.

Larry Lasich said:
Have you watched the webcast of Positive Pressure Attack? The link is located on the bottom of the home page, on the left hand side. The question that I would ask is; why electric fans?
Thanks Brad,
An excellent response! Yes this is the reason. Your hit the nail on the head. But I am not worried as much about adding CO to a structure fire during the overhaul stage as we should be wearing our airpacks. But mostly during the routine food on the stove, highrise single apartment pressurizations etc. I feel both have their place and am glad we have convinced our Department of this instead of being closed minded to think one piece of equipment can do it all.
Like I said, my problem is the surging problems as originally stated.
Thanks again for having my back!
KJ

Brad Hoff said:
Larry Lasich said:

I would suggest the reason they are using the electic PPV fans is to cut down on the noise and more importantly trying to reduce putting more CO into an already overloaded environment they are operating in like at a structure fire.
Brad Hoff said:
Larry Lasich said:

Brad, structure fires are putting out 1500 ppm of CO and the small engine is putting out 200 and something. Smoke ejectors are ok for a backed up fireplace, but there are few times where you can string a power line faster that you can pull a starter cord.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service