Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I've been asked to develop the Engineer's test this year and I am looking for any input that I might be able to apply to the test this year. In the past our Engineer's test consist of a driving portion, where we would state an address and the driver would take us to the address for about eight address's or so. The last address would be at our drill tower where a pumping scenario would be set up. The engineer would start with a deck gun knock down (simulating a transitional attack, knocking down cones set up on the drill tower), establish a water supply, charge a speedlay, charge a standpipe, charge a master stream of some sort, and the pumping portion of the drill would be complete. The last part of the test is a equipment knowledge test where we would ask the location of a certain tool and the driver would walk to the right compartment and locate the tool. I am looking for any ideas that have worked well in your department. Thanks

Views: 487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

75 to 100 question multiple guess on your SOPs, apparatus that your D/O will operate, quick pump operator questions dealing with; apparatus placement, friction loss, residual pressure, relay pumping and water supply. Anything that has tripped you up in the past or the Officers have commented on.

If D/Os step up to right seat get some kind of fire sim or pictures that you can add effects to so that you can judge their ability to size up and attack a bread and butter house fire.

Dispatch them to a draft site and set up a draft operation with a whatever hose pull you think you would use. Make sure that they know the EP for the lay. Set up to pull either a couple of cross-lays or a master stream that you know the porta -tank can’t support. Check communications with the IC and hose crews. See what they do with it. If it's something that you do (relay pumping, supporting an auto extrication, Draft/fill site engine, etc), you should test for it.

If you want something specific, I can try to get you a copy of our D/O test, however, I’m not a big fan of it.

Let me know,
Larry
how about coming up with a scenario where you have two trucks that dont match have them come up with a fitting that will make them work together it may take three or four fittings. On my test i had to connect a tanker from one county to one of our departments engines( A 4" discharge/fast fill to a 6" intake) the tanker had male threds on its discharge and our engine had a male intake the instructor took out the easy fittings so we had to invent something out of the leftovers.i used a 2.5x 4" reducer,2.5x2.5 gated wye, 2, 2.5 hard suction hose, the second gated wye,a second 2.5x 4" reducer and a 4x6" reducer. that was a very hard assignment. make them invent things.

reducer wye hard suction wye reducer reducer
hard suction

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service