Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone have any experience working with an aerial ladder with "pods" at the end?

We are looking at replacing our aerial ladder with a 75 foot quint with a straight aerial. The truck must be single axle. We are going to look at a 70 foot aerial made by E-One that has pods at the end of the aerial. This is the first time we have seen a truck like this. The pods are on either side of the aerial and are horizontal when the ladder is bedded. When you raise the ladder the pods swing down and serve as a one firefighter bucket on either side of the aerial. There are controls in one of the pods to operate the ladder and level the pods. The end of the aerial is open. This looks like a good idea.

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty certain not too many of these were built. I have to wonder what the benefit is other than some marginally better safety for defensive water tower ops? The buckets are not large enough to rescue a person into from the look. There's no good way to vent from them. Other than being able to ride the aerial safely while it's being moved, I'm not clear I'd want these on the end of my stick as they'll certainly impair your rescue ability from windows that are not "straight on"? There are tons of 75 ft. quints out there for sale, I'd be asking myself where the advantages are to the twin pods.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service