Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Has any of the departments established a release form for the use of dry hydrants on private property.


Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you mean that you can draft their water or they have to provide cisterns in un-hydranted areas?
we have several dry hydrants in our township placed by home owners in ponds on their property. We have designated these with blue address signs. We have looked into the requirements for the department for yearly service and maintenance. The department has never had a release form the home owner or one is not on record with our department. I need to find a release form allowing the department to use these hydrants in an emergency for other property owners and to do service/maintenance on them.all I can find the references to release forms but I am unable to locate such forms.

Hello We have had one for years and have just sent out new ones this year to all our fill locations. We try to keep them updated every 10 years. We have around 30 fill locations in our Fire District, some we never use, but we like to have a signed paper saying that we or our mutual aid departments can draft water. It seems to work well.


NFPA 1142 has an example of an agreement

We operate multiple different dry hydrants within our jurisdiction and utilize our neighboring departments hydrants when necessary and honestly I have not known that there needs to be a release to do such. What is the purpose of this release? Just a general CYA?

A home owner had a dry hydrant on his property. He dumped about 6 ton of gravel in front of it so it was oos. We responded to his home for smoke in the residence knowing it was a dry hydrant location a single tender response was appropriate after arriving on scene we had to have additional tenders respond. So the debate started as to liability issues. So in turn its a CYA and checks and balances, for the home owner if injury occurs on his property, the ability for the department to do testing and maintenance, and the hydrants are used for ISO ratings. I have designed a form that is going to be sent to the attorneys office so if anyone needs one or looks into todays issue of law suits and liability. i hope to have it back in a couple of weeks

Understood, thank you I wasn’t exactly sure as to what the purpose of this was. Thank you for the clarification!

Basically we do it for the same reason as Danny's department does. Ours has stuff in it like the home owner has to maintain a clear patch to the hydrant and can not place items in front of. It also releases the home owner from the liability if we use it and someone else structure burns down. It also has provision for test and if the hydrant gets damaged or if someone gets hurt on their property, but yes basically a CYA.
Gotcha, thanks guys I think it might be something I need to look into.

Reply to Discussion


Policy Page


The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.


Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service