Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Do you feel that Fire Departments or HazMat Teams should be the ones to take samples from Drums? Please explain?

Todd McKee

Views: 72

Replies to This Discussion

That is touchy Todd, I guess number one is are you able to do so and is it really in your mandate... I have a stern stance that a fire service should only get involved with hazardous materials when there is a life safety issue, we should not be getting involved with the product themselves. Our fire priority is Life Safety so that should be evacuate and protect. From there it should be up to company or responsible party to deal with the problem, that then would involve contracting in a hazardous material clean up company to come in and resolve the problem. There is a lot of headache if a fire service takes this role onto themselves, you would have to sample it, test or send it away to be tested, package and label the product and then find a suitable location to disposal and them transport.

However if you have all the resources and the training, and it is also something you have set out in your level of service I think taking samples is something that could be done, all the power to you, but I don't believe really this is something we really have to get our hands into....

I have attached two photos of Edmonton Fire taking a test sample from a Unknown product in a blue container, they then tested the product on their Portable Infrared Spectrophotometer... I am not with Edmonton City but was on scene at this incident, this product was believed to be hydrochloric acid from indication on tests strips, however it did turn out to be something else after testing...

Thanks

Shawn McKERRY
Attachments:

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service