Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hello forum mates,

I need your help on a technical question.

The safety manager of our local water treatment company has problems with the higher management: they want to skip the companies emergency SCBA-team and let them use cartridges instead. He asked me for a motivation to keep his team intact.

The Canadian WorkSafe-publication "Ozone safe work practices" ( http://www.worksafebc.com/publications/health_and_safety/by_topic/a... ) is clear in its advice on which PPE to use in which ozone concentration (page 18 - 19, respiratory protection). In case of a high or unknown ozone concentration (which in case of the water treatment plant may be very high), only SCBA's should be used. I think I can make the safety manager happy with this publication.

However, out of personal interest, I still have a remaining question:
what happens with an activated carbon filter (from a respirator with cartridge) in a high ozone concentration?

As ozone is a very strong oxidator and can react fiercely with flammable material, I suppose that the carbon would first only turn into CO2 and some CO. But as the temperature as a result of the rapid reaction would increase, I suppose the cartridge would start to burn? Anyone knows of tests on this?

http://www.coronasupplies.co.uk/downloads/Ozone%20Health%20and%20Pr... warns of an explosion, as it mentions: "Activated carbon filters must under no circumstances be exposed to ozone concentrations higher than 20g/m³ since the reaction may become auto-accelerated and lead to an explosion."

I hope some of you can teach us more on this intrigueing subject.

In the mean time I will start designing a combined rescue training for the company ff's and 2 of our stations. I would like to inform all participants on this afterwards during the feedback session.

Wish you a blessed weekend,

Jetty Middelkoop
Hazmat officer
FD Amsterdam Amstelland
The Netherlands

Views: 212

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service