Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am looking for any help in devolping a rescue course for Wind turbines. We are seeing a lot of them in Wisconsin. I have a builder that is telling me there are no confined spaces in the wind turbine and that for rescue we can use the hoist system that in built inside the tower. I have a problum with both of these items. Is any one aware of a OSHA our NFPA standerd that deals with this?

Views: 1233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

George

I would like to see the SOP from this fire department if that would be ok.

George H. Potter said:
Hello Robert,
I have contacted the Navarra, Spain regional fire service on this. This region has Spain's highest concentration of wind turbines, and was the first area in Spain where turbines were installed, more than 10 years ago. The fire service has developed a series of protocols and SOP's jointly with several of the turbine builders/erectors and works closely with them. There are at least six major builders in Spain, mostly of Spanish national origins; GAMESA and ABENGOA are leaders.
The Chief of the Navarra FD is preparing copies of these documents for me to get them off to Dennis. I mentioned your operation to him and there may well be some areas for mutual cooperation. Let me know if you are interested at georgepot@gmail.com and I'll put them in direct contact with you (if you have a little Spanish).
Dennis,
Sorry i have not been able to reply in some time. Sounds like you are getting a lot of attention to your questions regarding your rescue program for Wind Turbines. Previously I mentioned who ENSA is and what we do, so I wont get into that part but recently my colleagues at the AWEA safety committee and our partners from the OSHA task force released the confined space determination for Wind. Please correspond with me at rob@ensausa.com and I will forward it to you.
ENSA partners with the Lake Shore Technical College in Cleveland WI. to provide Wind Specific Rescue Training to the municipalities, contractors, owners and manufacturers of/and around Wind Farms. I am not sure what part of the state you are in but this may be of value to you and the college.
All the Best,
Robert Siegel
Director of Operations
ENSA Access and Rescue Inc.
Sir

I am on the safety committee for AWEA, if it is possible I would like to see this confine space determination for wind policy.

David Nadeau
Aristeo Construction
Safety Engineer
Office 734-427-9111
Cell 734-718-9979

Robert A. Siegel said:
Dennis,
Sorry i have not been able to reply in some time. Sounds like you are getting a lot of attention to your questions regarding your rescue program for Wind Turbines. Previously I mentioned who ENSA is and what we do, so I wont get into that part but recently my colleagues at the AWEA safety committee and our partners from the OSHA task force released the confined space determination for Wind. Please correspond with me at rob@ensausa.com and I will forward it to you.
ENSA partners with the Lake Shore Technical College in Cleveland WI. to provide Wind Specific Rescue Training to the municipalities, contractors, owners and manufacturers of/and around Wind Farms. I am not sure what part of the state you are in but this may be of value to you and the college.
All the Best,
Robert Siegel
Director of Operations
david nadeau said:
Sir

I am on the safety committee for AWEA, if it is possible I would like to see this confine space determination for wind policy.

David Nadeau
Aristeo Construction
Safety Engineer
Office 734-427-9111
Cell 734-718-9979

Robert A. Siegel said:
Dennis,
All the Best,
Robert Siegel
Director of Operations
Lieutenant, Its me Rob Siegel I sat in on a Comp course with you at G-tec last March. Yes, I see that you and George joined us at the last Safety Conference. I have your email so I will send you the CS Determination.

Thanks
Rob Siegel
THERE ARE DEFINITELY CONFINED SPACES IN A WIND TURBINE, FOR EXAMPLE! THE HUB!! NACELLES!! AND CLIPPER 2.5 LM BLADES!!..<----DEFINITELY CONFINED...I WAS A CONFINED SPACE ATTENDANT FOR SEVERAL PROJECTS ...USSUALY , OSHA 10 AND TRACTEL WILL GET ANYONE'S FOOT ON THE DOOR IN A WIND SITE..
Dennis here in the state of South carolina,we don't have Wind turbines.I wish that our governor,senator etc would consider building Wind Turbines in our state. We the state of SC need to talk with our governor and see if we can get and builder,and sites for Wind Turbines. Brenda
Sir

Have you every put a SOG or SOP together for respond to a wind farm?
Rapid Deployment Rescue ladder for Fire Departments
The RDRL is being used on wind parks for rescue of victims inside wind turbine's and over the side of nacelle's
Attachments:
FIRE ENGINEERING now has the base document for the Navarra, Spain SOP for emergency ops in wind turbines. As far as we kno, neither OSHA nor NFPA have addressed this subject as yet. At the next Spanish firefighters congress next year, it is possible that a HOT session on wind turbine rescue may be in the program.
Hi Dennis,
Curious where you're located in WI. I'm up in Kewaunee County and we have about a dozen of these turbines in our primary response area. The company that built the ones around here is VESTAS. We've done some very limited high angle rescue training for these specific towers. We were told very specifically that the internal hoist system is off limits for lifting personel. We've used them to lift equipment to the nacelle instead of having to carry equipment up the ladder but it's off limits for personel. We haven't been out to the turbines in quite some time to train but i'm sure if you'd be interested we could arrange it for you to come out and see what they're like on the inside. My personal email is JTLACHAC@aol.com if you would like to talk further.
Hey Robert,
I noticed where you have been talking with Dennis about Resuce procedures in Wind Turbines. I saw that you and your colleagues have come up with the confined space determination for Wind. I would love to get a copy of that if possible. I too work around turbines and have implemented a rescue plan for us, but I am always open to adding to that with things that I may not be aware of.
Thanks alot,
Kyle Tischler
Albany Fire Dept.
Albany, Texas
Robert A. Siegel said:
david nadeau said:
Sir

David Nadeau
Aristeo Construction
Safety Engineer
Office 734-427-9111
Cell 734-718-9979

Robert A. Siegel said:
Dennis,
All the Best,
Robert Siegel
Director of Operations

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service