Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am looking to see what SOP/SOG's exist concerning ground ladder usage and maintenance. I am also looking to find out if anyone is using any other type of rope other then hemp for their halyards?

If you use hemp, how often are the halyards changed?

If you no longer use hemp ropes, what are you using and how is it working?

Views: 417

Replies to This Discussion

Mike
We do not have set SOP's or SOG's on when to use them, generally my "outside truck" members throw them on jobs where companies may be operating on second floors or higher. These are general company assignements that our truck trains on and use on all 3 shifts that the captain has implimented and the battalions know will happen. We train on ground ladders at least one company level training a month. These trainings encompass egress for operating companies, vertical vent on different pitch roofs and pre-planning which ground ladder will be needed for different types of structures if a ladder rescue is needed. As far as maintenance ours are UL tested once a year, and my company inspects them every shift. After a fire they are cleaned and inspected as well. Here in the midwest we have to clean them often in the winter months due to the crappy weather we can encounter.
We still use hemp rope mainly because its easier to see the damage from elements, fire or just age. They are also inspected when the ladder gets UL tested.

I hope this helps a little. Stay safe brother
Eric

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service