Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hi all, I would like some advice from those of you who have a Tanker Taskforce response available in your mutual aid agreements within your area.
How is it set up?
Number of Tankers?
Is it automatically dispatched on any fire call or does it have to be requested?
Biggest downside, (obviously we know what the upside is!)

Views: 257

Replies to This Discussion

Kelly,

In my area we have a tanker taskforce which is setup of 5 tankers and chief. How they are dispatched depending on a persons grid setup. In our town we get a tanker taskforce automatically on the second alarm and in other towns they have to ask for the assignment to be dispatched. I really have not worked much with the taskforce but the two times I have seen it used the only down side that I saw was the amount of time it took for the tanker shuttle to get going and we have had issues with the tankers getting lost going to the fill points. Here is a link to our guideline. http://www.bcfirechiefs.org/Guidelines/tender_guideline.htm
In our area, tankers are dispatched in rural area according to the area of the county the fire is. This evolved over a period of years and was done after a lot of training and planning. At this time it's an accepted practice that all new tankers in the county be purchased with side dumps instead of rear dumps. Most now have th abilithy to dump from either side, front or back. A federal grant was acquired to purchase materials for draft sites throughout the county. Farm ponds and streams were used for these fill sites. Initial response on a strucural fire sends an engine to a fill site to set up for tanker fill. Standard routes are established so that tankers don't pass each other going in opposite directions. The officer on the first arriving tanker usually becomes the water supply officer and establishes water supply on a different radio channel from th fire attack. Tankers are usually 2000 gallons or more. Because of this arrangement, many small villages have dropped the ISO rating from 9 to 6.
Thank you David, the link was a great help. This is something new for us & I am trying to learn as much as possible from all.
Anumber of years back we had on our Mutual Aid running cards on a second alarm a 5&5 ( 5 tankers{oops TENDERS} and 5 engines) many of the engines" were and are" PUMPER/ TENDER type so we've got both worlds. But with more Aerial APPS available and greater fire flows MORE tankers are needed and PRIMARY and SECONDARY WATER SOURCES also. stay safe Wayne
Thanks Wayne, We have yet to have an automatic Tender response on Structure Fire calls, the 1st Due Officer or our Chief calls for them upon confirmation of a working fire. We go one step further at our Station & have them toned out even before we leave the Station, it's easy to stand down units if not required. You hit it right on stating with so many variables to factor in on each call, we believe it critical to get lots of water moving our way quickly. Distances between our Stations also plays into how long for help to arrive.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service