Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Question:
What have other departments done or going to do in regards to NFPA 1404.
In my department we currently using MSA low pressure 30 min. bottles. We are considering moving to the 4500 psi 45 min. bottle. This new system would add about 5 lbs. to our SCBA system. I would love to hear any input and or suggestions.
Bob

Views: 574

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

Owasso Fire made the transition a few years ago from the MSA, low pressure, to a SCOTT Fifty, 4500 psi. We use the composite bottles, built-in PASS, on mask voice amps. Have had good luck with them. Our only issue has been the high pressure hose that leads to the guage on the shoulder leaking on a few. The base pack comes with a bell or whistle for a low air alarm. It is worth the cost to upgrade to the system that caused the mask to vibrate when the air is low. A draw back is the built-in PASS. It can't be turned off. Great for real fires, a drag for training. When firefighters are wearing the pack and it is on, they end up kinda hopping around so that the alarm will not activate. We have never had a problem with the pack during an incident. Hope it helps.
Thanks,
This is the stuff I need
Bob
I would go with a Scott fifty 4500psi. We use them and have no big problems. I would suggest that you stay away from the HUD (heads up display). The electrical wiring going from the batter pack to the display is cracking on all of our packs. Scott is working on the problem. When they get it fixed, I would go with the HUD over the bell. The bell uses air. Good luck
We use the Scott 50's great pak and make sure you buy scott bottles not the look alikes...
Hi SIr!
My Ohio Department currently uses SCOTT 4500 with inergrated pass devices and on screen display. We do not have a bell but our face peice vibrates for a low pressure alarm. Have not had any issues with them. We love them!
Bob,

Check out the New NPFA standard on SCBA should be out the Month of March.
Don't you know that NFPA stands for No Free Publications Allowed?? ;-)LOL
My personal recommendation would be the Scott 50 or new 75. The carbon fiber cylinder will decrease weight however your typical structure size and air need should determin your cylinder size. We use the 4500psi 30 min cylinder for our standard response but carry 4500psi 1 hour cylinders on specialty units and on our Air Truck so they are available if the need is there. The electronic issues with the Scott (and all others) should be cleared up with the new generation electronics. The heads up display and the viberalert are the most common. The great thing about the vibralert is that the air used to run it is not wasted. It is dumped in the mask and there is no question if your low air alarm is sounding. Any external alarms (whistles and bells) that use air are actually wasting the air. It is not much air but it might be the air you need to get out. The Scott also uses a dual redundant 1st stage regulator that is essentially 2 separate systems. One works when the pressure is below 1/4 of capacity and the other between 1/4 and full so it is used everytime. However, if one side fails the other will take over and you will go into alarm even if you have 3000 psi you will know there is a problem. No other SCBA offers this feature and claim all regulators will fail in the open position. This is true but you won't know that it happen and I have always wondered (what if it doesn't?) Good luck!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service