Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

So, in reading a few of the articles on the front page of FFN today, I came across an article about a department in New York that wants to purchase a new ladder truck. Now I don't know all of the information as far as call volume on the ladder truck, if it was refurbished by the manufacturer or by a local company. That being said I am a big fan of volunteer departments refurbishing apparatus. Not only is it cost effective, I think the last figures that I saw on a factory rebuild were around 100k for a rebuild when a new apparatus would have cost about 300k if not more.

Now in reading that article it seems like the truck was rebuilt a few years ago so a new truck would just be adding onto costs that to me are a waste, again not having all the information on the truck itself. I know of a department in my area that had a few old Mack pumpers that were sent for factory rebuild in like 1996 that are in their reserve fleet and still being used in training and if a front line apparatus goes down. As well as a large department in the next state over that is still using an old Ladder truck from the 70s that has been rebuilt a few times as a reserve apparatus.

So with that being said what is your take on the situation..

Rebuild apparatus or Purchase new

Views: 360

Reply to This

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service