Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

FYI - I sent this to my office the other day and wanted to pass it along. It is a pretty interesting study.

From the Journal of Fire Protection Engineering, this is usually a very technical look at fire growth and related papers but there was a very good study that came out and was published recently that we can all learn from.

APPROXIMATING EVACUATION using COMPUTER SIMULATION
The scenario used the World Trade Center I as the model

The model predicts that the total evacuation time of the building for the 8239 survivors, population, to be 1 hour and 27 minutes ~2 minutes. This time compares favorably with the observation that the building collapsed after 1 hour 42 minutes. The model results also suggested that while the insertion of the firefighters into the building did impact the evacuation efficiency of individuals, it had minimal detrimental impact on the overall evacuation efficiency. Had the building been fully occupied, 25,000 people, it was predicted to take appropriately 2 hours, 18 minutes to evacuate all survivors.

The results suggested also that had at least one staircase survived from top to bottom, it is possible that everyone that survived the initial trauma of the impact could have managed to safely escape. This shows the importance of staircase dispersal within buildings.

Views: 17

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service