Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am putting a presentation together to introduce SLICERS to my department and Im looking for a clarification,

As we probably all understand by now, SLICERS puts heavy emphasis on cooling the space from "the safest location". I interpret that as maybe in the yard, maybe not. Maybe its as you're making the push down the hall. My question is, what does SLICERS say about spraying water in a window with heavy smoke coming out of it but no visible flame?

Are they going that far in wanting you to put water on smoke from an exterior position in effort to "cool the space"?

If anyone has any definite info on this, id like to hear it....

Thanks,

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Kyle!  

You mind find it easier to think in terms of pressure and heat release rates inside the structure. You can have untenable situations where you have visible fire and other situations, just as untenable, but without visible fire.  In either case, water can make the situation better.  So it's not so much about if you put water on the orange or the black, it's more about getting the water where the energy/high pressure is.  So to answer your question, if that smoke is under pressure, indicating high heat conditions, take the shot to cool it down.  If you see smoke, but not moving under considerable pressure, you may want to advance further to see what is going on.  It may be an incipient or decayed fire.  

Hope that helps.  Feel free to reach out if you have further questions! 

Chief,

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me.

I was wondering if you'd be open to taking a look at my power point to make sure I'm on the right track? 

I know you'e probably extremely busy so if you can't i understand. 

Either way, thanks for your time Chief! 

Kyle 

I'll certainly do my best Kyle.  Hit me on the email at eddiebuchanan@mac.com.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service