Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am looking for some input from around the country on your Fire Departments fire ground communications. Specificaly, does everyone in an IDLH atmosphere carry portable radios or just one member per team? Secondly, due you use one radio channel or do you have seperate Dispatch and fire ground channels? Third does your dispatch center monitor all of your fire ground communications?

I am trying to put together a report on the pros and cons of everyone having portable radios and if someone does need to call a "MAYDAY" who will here it.

If you could let me know along with the size and type of fire department you are part of it would be a great help.

Be safe out there.

Chris

Views: 1265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris, my department is career, 2 paramedic/rescue engines out of the same house. We have 25 members. Every firefighter has a portable radio. Our radios are new, thanks to an AFG grant. We have dispatch, fireground, which are monitored by our fire alarm office, we also have 4 primary command channels that we use on a working incident. The command channel are monitored by the IC and his staff. On a large incident we can request a dispatcher from fire alarm to the scene to monitor radio traffic, this has worked great in the past, hope this helps.

Stay Safe
Chris,
My department has 63 career personnel with 19 per shift. All of our personnel carry a radio and we have a dispatch freq. and a Fireground freq. Our dispatchers can monitor both frequencies. Our portables have the idenitfier on them of who is transmitting.
Chris,on our FD each of our fire fighters has their own radio. On our Fd we had nearly 30 members for the small town we live in. We are adding on new additions,to make our buildings larger.We have and good dispatch center that communicates with our fire fighters well. In The FD we have and mobile unit,in our own personal vehical's ,we have radio's ,etc.
We work with about (9 ) other fire departments.,when and structure fire is large ,we are toned out to go to a certain zone area.We have not had and bad year ,like we did last year.
Our department certainly needs new radio's. The radio i have now,i can receive ,but not send out message's .Will be getting a better one,soon.
A fire dept was destroyed last night when and tornado went though Aiken county,near August Ga,
Our prayers go out to those who lost their life's and homes and the FD.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service