Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I was wondering how many of you out there have used with the 540 Belay device or the Petzl ID and what your thoughts were regarding them vs. traditional hardware/techniques?

Views: 1875

Replies to This Discussion

I like the 540 Belay, haven't used the Petzl ID. The 540 Belay, like any other gadget, needs practice to develop good skills and seamless use. I remember the first time I used a tandem prusik belay. I understood the concept but until I practiced and honed my skills on the techniques, I wasn't a very good belay man. Now it's second nature.

The 540 is easy to reset making it quicker in returning to lowering. Just make sure you have the right size 540 for the rope you intend to use it on.
Stephen,

Thanks for your comments. I have been using the 540 Belay almost from its debut without complications. The reason for my question is I often hear from students (prior to use) and others that it isn't as easy as the tandem prusik belay or locks up "too much). I have found upon further inquiry that most of the people making this type of comment have never used the device or used it without proper instruction during a training class. It's ironic that many people who prefer the tandem prusik belay over other techniques have probably never experienced activating the belay system in conditions close to the BC Belay Compotency Test. As far as the Petzl ID goes it has a wide range of applications, one of which is simplifying post fall arrest rescues (minimalist approach) in light of the new ANSI standard.
We have been using the 540 for several years. As stated it takes training to get used to. We have also found that type of rope makes a big differance. A polyester sheathed rope works much better (less locking up) due to the reduced friction. I have found the ID great for work positioning applications.
Likewise...we got a few right after they became available....and now won't use anything else. As they "wear" in...they pass rope a little easier. As for students complaining that they are harder to rig than tandem prussiks,...show them how much easier it is to flip that level to continue as opposed to having to get the load off those locked-up prussiks to continue....they will come around.
I have used both devices and like them both. I like the Petzl ID because of the multiple applications (belay device and repel device). the only time I have seen the 540 "lock up" was when the mainline was being lowered too fast. Practice and proficiency is everything!

Be SAFE! Scott
Jim,

Do you use the 540 in place of a T3WPB on your safeties? We have been looking into this, and have gotten mixed reviews. I think some of the problems we have been hearing are identified on this board as far as training and practice with the device. The only time anyone on our team has had their hands on one is while working with Edina Fire and the Twin Cities Metro teams building highlines. Guys came back complaining about repeated lock ups. I do like the ability of unlocking a caught belay without having to use a LRH or other deivce to relieve the tension. But they are also a spendy piece of equipment. If we get serious about them I might have to get a hold of you and see if we can't come visit you and look at them.
Kevin,

With the 540's all it is is practice with the device. It you feed it correctly at the right rate it rarely locks up. Try to get one to play with for a whole day if possible. If you lead it with about 18" of slack it works great. You just need to keep the same pace as the person/thing being lowered or raisied and it works.
We use them interchangably. It depends on who is setting up the belay. it's their choice. Again they work better for a slow controled lower rather than a single rapeller who often goes faster than you can belay with the 540. It is real nice to be able to release without using a load release hitch which then has to be reset before continuing. Let me know if you want to borrow ours for a day for training.
Does anyone know if there is any electronic documentation for the 540 belay? The instructions in a pdf or similar? I have emailed traverse without any reply or acknowledgement. I try to keep an electronic copy of everything these days as the space on the bookshelf has been long gone.
Steve,

Check on th CMC website, they tend to have E-info on most of what they sell.
Thanks. I did that and didn't come up with anything. They do have a VHS training video for sale. I will keep looking and hounding Traverse!
We reciently implemented both into our "tool box", we like them. During refesher training with our rope guys, I had them use a "traditional" system and then one with the ID and 540. After a little instruction, they love them. They are fast and easy to set and operate. what I like about the ID is its versitility. We use it at the anchor point of our "bread and butter" z drag, it has the progress capture built in and I can change to a lowering system very easy.
But, like the rest of your equipment, it's only as good as your team is. Train often and be safe!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service