Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Fire Prevention is the front line offensive assault unit of firefighting.  The officers that fill these ranks are proactive, stubborn, righteous, and creative in this demanding profession. The mission these leaders face is that of almost hopeless odds, but they do it. It is the daily battle that they face of maintaining vigilant awareness in an environment that would overwhelm the average person. That is what makes them and this profession unique. Unfortunately complacency has infested certain areas of this profession; specifically public education.

This vital mission it seems, has morphed from a vibrant proactive concept into a seldom thought about check in the box of the department mission statement. Public education is the most important program a department can invest in. The mission of every department is life safety and property conservation and the only way to truly accomplish that is through a regular, creative, robust public education program.  Please don’t get me wrong, time is as we all know our worst enemy. I am by no means suggesting that other programs and responsibilities should suffer a loss in order to fulfill the required commitment of public education.  I am simple proposing that we do not allow public education to suffer a loss of commitment and focus for the demands of the other.  Analyze your program and ask yourself one simple question. If I were the public, would I be interested and engaged in this program? If you can honestly answer yes then you are truly a leader in the profession, if not then it’s time to remedy it.

So what does a successful program look like? I’m sure there are thousands of opinions and ideas to answer that question, but let’s break it down by first analyzing where we are at now. Some departments’ idea of public education is a once a year, week long, unengaged invasion of every public school that will allow them in the doors. A goody-bag of pamphlets and stickers that by the time they make it home don’t last three days before they are discarded.  Other departments are bit more engaging, demonstrations given by the truck and engine companies, which we know the kids absolutely  love, but still only once a year, or twice at best.  Other departments run a much more engaging program. They are in the schools three or four times a year, maintain a presents throughout the residential areas of their city or town. Not just when there is a fire but regularly with smiles and waves to the people they are sworn to protect.  These are perhaps the extremes of the spectrum, but I’m sure your department fall somewhere in the mix.

Now that we have a grasp on where we are at, let’s look at where we need to be and how to get there. A successful program has to be three things, regular, interesting or engaging, and tailored. We have to get away from the once a year in October programs that are just as easily forgotten as they were prepared for.  The good program is built on a monthly managed scheduled. “Who has time for that?” We all do. I’m not saying you need to be in the schools giving demonstrations or giving lectures every month. Simply have some kind of presence that changes monthly. One idea is a monthly posting. Every school or business has a bulletin board that you could request a small portion of. Provide engaging stories or posters that will grab the attention of the passer-by.  Specifically for schools, both elementary and middle, I have developed a “comic poster” with a new story every month. Kids love comics! So do adults for that matter. The bottom line is, make it a regular part of your mission.

Having a regularly changing presence will improve any program, but ensuring that it is interesting or engaging will provide optimal results. In order to accomplish this you must know your public. Though pamphlets, stickers, and pencils work for some, they definitely don’t work for all. You must tailor your program to your public. The message doesn’t change but the method by which you deliver it does. This is where being creative comes in to play. You are, or should already be well known in your public, the opposite should be true as well. You should know your public well enough to know what medium would reach them best. The medium you use in your schools will not be the same that you use in your small businesses. Just as the medium you use in your small businesses will not be the same as that which you will use in your grocery stores or malls. As I stated in the beginning of this article, your average person cannot be a successful Fire Prevention Officer. They are a certain breed of man that can endure the demanding nature of this profession.

In conclusion, the fire prevention profession as we know it needs a shot of adrenalin. We have to raise the bar of expectation by which we view our public education program. By doing this we will not only improve the public opinion and interest in the fire service, but save lives as well. Ultimately it comes down to you the Fire Prevention Officer, your priorities, and the commitment you give to your public education program. 

If you are interested in acquiring monthly comic posters for your program please visit www.facebook.com/ritbyclark.

Views: 93

Attachments:

Reply to This

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

Groups

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service