Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

A jury has awarded a little over 25 million to plantiffs in the cas of the Cook County Adminstration fire.

I will paste the article here and highlight points of interest so if you see a point in bold, I have added the emphasis.

COOK COUNTY, Ill. — Victims of the fatal 2003 Cook County Administration Building fire will receive $25.3 million, including $9 million from the county, under a series of settlements reached Tuesday in Cook County Circuit Court.

The last-minute deal allows the county and six other defendants to avoid a massive and potentially risky civil trial, set to begin next week, that will examine the fire in the 37-story structure at 69 W. Washington St. that killed six office workers and injured 16 others.

Meanwhile, the settlements allow the plaintiffs to focus on what they say are the most blameworthy defendants, including the City of Chicago, said Robert Clifford, lead attorney for the plaintiffs.

"It's significant" to get the settlements signed, Clifford said Tuesday. "It unclutters the case. It allows us to present in a succinct way what we feel is proof of our claims."

The workers died in the fire on Oct. 17, 2003, after they became trapped in a stairwell with self-locking doors. Smoke poured up into the stairwell as firefighters battled the blaze on the 12th floor below.

In 22 lawsuits, the plaintiffs targeted what they allege were a series of mistakes by firefighters and the city's 911 operators, including poor communication and a failure to designate one stairwell for firefighting and one for evacuation.

Jury selection could begin as soon as Monday in a trial of seven of the 22 suits in the courtroom of Judge William Maddux.

Lawyers said the litigation ranks among the county's largest civil cases in terms of attorney hours, documents reviewed and witness depositions.

County officials said Tuesday that they settled because the entire $9 million would be paid from insurance proceeds, while a jury verdict might have outstripped their coverage limits.

"There's always a risk" in going to trial, said Peter Skiko, an attorney for the county. "It just made sense at this stage of the game to protect the taxpayers the best we could."

County officials admitted no wrongdoing in the settlement.

The settlements reached Tuesday also include $11 million from two security firms, Aargus Security Systems Inc. and BGK Security Services.

The two firms continue to maintain their employees acted properly, said their attorney, Edward Murphy.

Four other defendants who settled Tuesday were companies that worked on the redesign of the building or its fire emergency systems: SimplexGrinnell; Competitive Piping Systems; Folgers Architects Ltd.; and Environmental Systems Design.

Plaintiffs' attorneys continued to negotiate Tuesday with the city and two other remaining defendants: 69 West Washington Management, the building manager; and UBM, a contractor that did work on the 12th floor.

"I can't really predict the result," Jennifer Hoyle, a spokeswoman for the city's Law Department, said Tuesday. "I can only say that we're still talking."

Clifford said he had grown pessimistic a deal would get done.

"What I see is a lot of finger-pointing going on between the remaining defendants," Clifford said.

For the defendants, a trial would likely involve further rehashing of the criticism they faced in the wake of the fire, when two independent panels heaped criticism on the Chicago Fire Department and others.

A settlement would allow the plaintiffs to avoid testifying in court about the trauma of the day and their agonizing wait for rescuers.

At a court hearing last year, the plaintiffs' lawyers played a harrowing 8-minute phone call to 911 from Jody Schneiderman, a survivor who feared for her life as she was trapped in the southeast stairwell.

"You've got to open the doors," Schneiderman pleaded on the call. Shouts are heard in the background. Later, she complains she can no longer see.

"We don't have much longer," Schneiderman says in the recording. "Oh my God, I can't stand it."

Lawyers for the city argued last year that long-standing legal precedent makes the city immune from lawsuits based on the alleged mistakes of firefighters or other emergency personnel.

But in a key ruling last year, Maddux ruled the plaintiffs' allegations — if proven at trial — could overcome those normal immunities.

Maddux noted, for example, that the plaintiffs allege a firefighter ordered fleeing office workers back up into the locked stairwell, which soon filled with smoke.

Copyright 2008 Chicago Tribune Company

So for those of you not familiar with the fire. In a nut shell; 13 people left the floor they were on and began descending down the stairs, they encountered a Chicago FF who told them to return to their original floor. 6 people died in the stairwell because the doors were locked and they could not exit the stairwell.

I won't get into the tactics used by CFD, because those guys have tons more experience at that sort of thing then I do and they, CFD, has made monumental changes to their High Rise policy because of that fire. In fact our policy here in OKC is a direct dicendent of CFD's new policy.

The main point that I want to bring up is the locking doors. I am currently in a struggle to have every building in our city where they have to have an unlocking device on all stairwell doors in case of a fire. As it stands right now, older buildings built under older codes can keep the codes they started with as long as they are using the building for it's original intent. I normally don't have a problem with this practice except for this instance. It has proven to kill civilians and injure firefighters.

Let me know what your city's code is and how you are handling it. Hope to hear from you all.

Views: 30

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service