Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

i want to know if anybody has an opinion on this subject i personally prefer 2 in. handline with a 1in. smoothbore tip you get more water and from personal expierience cant tell the difference between the two but let me know what you think. FTM-PTB

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

My department uses 1 3/4 and the next size is 2 1/2. As my understanding you get 200 gpm from the 1" tip no matter what hose size. The bigger the hose size the higher the maximum flow and the less engine pressure you have to use to accomplish the same amount of water as when using a smaller hose. Also the bigger the hose, the heavier and harder to maneuver. There may be a difference in reach between the two sizes.
I would like to try 2" hose, but can't get anyone to "loan" me 200 feet or so to try. I've heard many people say that they can't tell the difference in advancing it compared to the 1 3/4", but they can tell the difference between the "punch." My primary reason for wanting to try it is due to the higher GPM flow and the fact (yes, I know it's a training issue) that most people "automatically" pull the 1 3/4" regardless of fire conditions. How much have you been able to flow with your 2" using a 1" tip?

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service