Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I just came across a new product that is starting to hit the market. It is a replacement for drywall gypsum board called Magnesiacore board or I believe in the US it is sold under magnum board. This material is sold with the following information:

MAGNESIACORE RESISTS:
-
Salt (sodium chloride) Brines and Salt Water
-Chlorine Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) & Related Pool Chemicals
-Ammonia (ammonium hydroxide) & Related Chemicals
-Exposure to
Water and Moisture & Freeze thaw cycles
-Changes in
Temperature up to 1,500
F or 800C
-Re
peated Wetting and Drying or Freezing and Thawing
-Swelling, Losing  Strength or Deterioration
-Moulds, Mildew, Bacteria, Fungus, Termites, Rodents and other Organisms
-Fireproof
-Impact Damage

MAGNESIACORE IS:
-
Non-combustible Class A Building Material - 3000PSI (20MpA)
-Breathable and porous for strong coating and adhesive bond
-Ideal for basements, garages, washrooms, wet pool areas and laundry rooms
-For ALL Residential, Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Construction
-Perfect for adding fireproofing to wood frame construction and elsewhere
-Excellent acoustic dampening material with higher density and elasticity
-Refractory material for infrared radiation (heat) assisting to reduce loss of energy when heating or cooling by reducing conductivity
-Non-hazardous, natural, non-toxic and disposable as crushable clean fill
-Environmentally friendly and produced without wasting large amounts of fossil fuel or releasing significant CO2 into the atmosphere in production
-Available in Chalk White and Slate Grey, custom colours and pre-cut sizes
-Stronger and more rigid to allow thinner material to do the same job
-Easier to work with using all types of hand tools and wood working equipment but also can be cut with a quick score and snap faster than drywall

After reading test results on the website this material stands up to a fire for over 90min, has some pretty good heat resistive characteristics and overall the joint compound fails before the material. The more i read on the website the more I began to wonder what effects this would have on a fireground. Here are some of my questions;

1) Durability -I am not sure how many of you rememeber drywall that had lexan built into it ( mostly commercial construction), it proved to be a challenge to break through with common tools (axes, halligan, pike pole). I asked about the durability of Magnesia core and was told it is durable for every day life, but if hit with an axe it would shatter easily.

2) Again reading the information on the website this material can also be used as floor board. Fantastic. It does not bend and break like drywall or sag like OSB floor board - so entering a structure with this over engineered wood joists that have been damaged by fire could pose a significant risk to firefighters. Be aware of your structural components and perform proper 360 to determine your fire location.

3) Will we run into more compartment fires that can cause flashover and backdraft situations inside the structure? With the fire resistive properties of this product we could potentially be exposed to more intense heat - ventilation and PPA?

4) Magnesium oxide is one of the main ingredients - This material is used in a number of  industrial fire rated products. If used properly to cover all structural components would this give you fire rated building?

Not so much questions I guess but more situational awareness. With changes in building materials so must our tactics and situational awarness. Has anyone come across any of the new building products?

Stay safe

Views: 60

Reply to This

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service