Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Here is another video from our friend Dale Pekel. In this video he shows some techniques to anchor for a bailout. You may not agree with all of these methods, but it is good information.

I recommend trying these and modifying them as you play around with them. There is nothing like practicing and trying new methods when it comes to firefighter operations and drills.

As always, stay safe and be careful.

Views: 219

Replies to This Discussion

-As someone that uses and teaches bail out procedures I found this video very interesting and enjoyed watching it. Nice production.
-I do question though the time required to create the opening for making the escape. In a bail out situation, from recognition to escape the elapsed time should be less than 20 seconds. With practice and proficiency it should be less than 15 seconds. Taking the time to clear the window in this fashion seems unnecessarily time consuming.
-To that end, the anchor device I advocate is the Crosby Hook which is really a portable anchor device.
-Using the Crosby Hook, fifty feet of 8mm escape line and a PMI PED device(simple and low tech), with an escape belt, exiting through the lower portion of the window, it is possible to recognize the emergent nature of the predicament, declare a Mayday and escape the environment in less than fifteen seconds.
-Not that Dale's method is incorrect; there are just faster ways to make the escape. I understand the thought process for clearing the entire window... entanglements, snags, I get it; but it does unnecessarily slow the operation as apposed to exiting through the lowest minimum opening. Speed is critical during the hyperdynamic bail out situation. In fact, if a bail out is being implemented its because the firefighter has exhausted all other options and time has run out.
-Dale has put some good work out here making us all think the situation through to a rapid and safe conclusion.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service