Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I recently had the opportunity to visit the Chicago Fire Department’s Fire Academy for a class. When I walked in the door I was met by a trip into the past.

As you can see from the first picture, there are some significant pieces of fire service history sitting in the lobby like this old steam pump.

Most importantly, they have a very detailed account of historical events that shaped the Chicago Fire Department over the past 200 hundred-plus years. These accounts list famous fires like the Iriquois Theater Fire, The Great Chicago Fire and Our Lady of the Angels, just to name a few.

Detailed accounts of these fires made me really appreciate the struggles and improvements that have shaped and molded what the fire service is today. We are the benefactors of great firefighters from the past and we should take time to remember this.

As I made a right from the lobby, there is a short hallway that honors the fallen Chicago firefighters over the past 200 plus years. They have a badge for each one in a glass case and it is sobering to say the least. There is a great number of badges on that wall for those that made the ultimate sacrafice. When you see how many have given their lives for their fellow man, it truly is a humbling experience.

There are also some boots and helmets on small pedastals below the badged wall. These were molded from the equipment of some fallen Brothers that are displayed in memorium of their sacrafices. To see this and to touch them sent chills up my spine. It could be any of us.

The important point of this is that between all of the debating, the infighting, the politics, the training or lack there of and everything else, we need to remember our mission as a fire service. We need to remember the responsibility we have to protect our citizens while at the same time taking care of our own.

The fire service has always been known as an extended family and it always will be. Take some time to learn about your departments “family tree” and honor it. Serve our profession with pride and be honorable at all times. Do your best and make all of us proud.

Be careful and take care.

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well spoken brother! I have been to a few departments where the museum was in a portion of the firehouse if not the firehouse itself being a whole museum/memorial.

Thanks for sharing your story!
Nice job Jason, Well put Brother! We owe it to our members to share the history our history of the Fire Service and our own Departments as well. PRIDE, HONOR, AND INTEGRITY! The foundation of our service, that all of us will give all to preserve.

Jason, I had the honor of being a flag bearer at the FDNY memorial in'02, I spent time with the members of 226 engine, long story, but one I will tell another time. After the memorial, I went to 226's house, I played hide and seek with a little young man that day day, later the Captain told me his dad was lost on that engine that fateful day in our history, talk about chills going up your spine!

Be Safe Brothers and NEVER FORGET!
Jeff
Wow, thanks for sharing. I would like to hear that story some time.

Take care,
Jason

Jeff Schwering said:
Nice job Jason, Well put Brother! We owe it to our members to share the history our history of the Fire Service and our own Departments as well. PRIDE, HONOR, AND INTEGRITY! The foundation of our service, that all of us will give all to preserve.

Jason, I had the honor of being a flag bearer at the FDNY memorial in'02, I spent time with the members of 226 engine, long story, but one I will tell another time. After the memorial, I went to 226's house, I played hide and seek with a little that day day, later the Captain told me his dad was lost on that engine that fateful day in our history, talk about chills going up your spine!

Be Safe Brothers and NEVER FORGET!
Jeff
Not a problem, Brother. I've never been as proud of the Fire Service as a whole! It was a life changing experience for me. Still friends with some of the Brothers, some have retired due to health issues. I still have helmet stickers from the Brothers at 226 engine, I'll bring one or more to the class in September!

Be Safe!
Jeff
-Jason, I love the tradition of the fire service and learning more about it whenever I can. I enjoy visiting these types of museums and love that places like CFD have this stuff on display right in your face.
-Last year we dedicated the brand new academy here in the city and did much of the same thing. In fact, our display even include three original apparatus on permanent display in out academy. Much of the rest of the display is scattered throughout the building so as to be viewed everywhere to include all kinds of things but especially the dedication plaques from each graduating class.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service