Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am in need of some expertise...here is the question...

When relatively small amounts of magnesium burn, the fires are extinguished using commercially available dry powder. Why might this fire rekindle days later as someone tries to remove the residue with water? What chemical process is involved here?

Any help is greatly appreciated..thanks.

Views: 1837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Search for and email Todd McKee. Todd is the Hazmat Guru around here.
Mathew! I would enjoy an opportunity to speak with regarding your question. Some may argue that mag is a chemical or not. If you can email me at www.hazmatohio.com we can discuss more. This is a great discussion and this is EXACTLY what this site is all about!

Your friend, Todd McKee

P.S. You got to watch that Larry guy! Just kidding, he is a valuable member to the site!
Hey Matthew and Todd,

I have the same question..I could really use some help.

Jamal
Okay Feel free to ask away! or You can can email it to me at toddcmckee@hazmatohio.com Have a good day! Todd McKee

Jamal Albuoy said:
Hey Matthew and Todd,

I have the same question..I could really use some help.

Jamal
Let's Discuss this with the Mag. issue! After asking around and looking at some Mag. Properties and so on... When you used the powder it probably encrusted the magnesium, but it stayed hot and was able to continue to smolder due to its oxidizing ability. Once the crust was broken it might have caused the rekindle

This is a good discussion ! Todd McKee
Todd,

Would this occur even after a few days the magnesium having the opportunity of cooling? If so, would the fire automatically rekindle once the water is applied to clean the residue off..even if the magnesium has cooled? Furthermore, would I be correct to assume the dry powder only remove the O2, but does not cool the metal?

Jamal
It does burn HOT!

Jamal Albuoy said:
Todd,

Would this occur even after a few days the magnesium having the opportunity of cooling? If so, would the fire automatically rekindle once the water is applied to clean the residue off..even if the magnesium has cooled? Furthermore, would I be correct to assume the dry powder only remove the O2, but does not cool the metal?

Jamal
My question when is mag considered a chemical? At what state? Now that could be the great debate!

Todd McKee said:
It does burn HOT!

Jamal Albuoy said:
Todd,

Jamal

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service