Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

This is a C-store and filling station with address numbers of 12785.
I was doing inspections the other day and this address was on the list. Not very exciting and pretty standard stuff.

It is a small convenience store with gas pumps out front. I found an exit sign with emergency lights dangling from the ceiling and the battery back-up was not working. Like I said, nothing to note that was out of the ordinary.

Then I look at my list and see the same numerics on another inspection form with a different business name. This is what I find…..

Same address as the filling station. Same owner.
This building is directly behind the filling station in the above picture. Both are labeled on the front of both buildings with the identical address.

Now this building was locked and I was not able to get in, but, this view is at the same elevation as the filling station, but behind it the elevation changes so that it is two stories on the back side.

This building houses offices on the main level and storage on the lower level.

Okay, the point is this, pay attention to your inspections. This is the kind of information you need to pass on. This is a situation that could turn ugly real quick.

Imagine getting dispatched to this address and finding that the filling station is closed. Nobody around and the address is prominently displayed on the store. False call, right?

Well, if we don’t know about that building behind it, even though we see it, we may not associate it with the call because how often are two buildings addressed the same?

Just be aware and alert. Take these inspections seriously and be thorough. Don’t be the one says, “Oops.”

Take care and be careful.

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

Just goes to show the need to be serious on pre-plans and inspections! Get out learn your area, the good, bad, and like you said Jason, things like this that have the potential to be real ugly.

Be Safe, Train!
Jeff

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service