Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

im a vol fire fighter 20 plus years now .the topic was  brought up about PTSD  .im my years as a vol fire fighter i have seen more than my share of fire deaths.. by fire or auto and other ..im one of those pepole that will hold it in ....im subject to pop off i guess .ah go off...is there a open  forum  about PTSD on fire engineering ...

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is no PTSD forum per se but there should be. You are also right in recognizing that your "going off" is a sign of something wrong. I applaud you for questioning what you are experiencing. Seeking an evaluation of your concerns with a qualified professional is the next step. Does your department have peer support or someone that would lead critical incident debriefings, or an employee assistance program (EAP) ? These are good places to start looking for help. If you can't find help within the department then look for a licensed therapist or psychologist in the community, someone that specializes in stress disorders including PTSD. There is a lot of research and talk about firefighters and PTSD. The criteria for being diagnosed with PTSD are quite stringent and very few firefighters actually meet all the criteria; how ever, many firefighters exhibit many of the symptoms. Best of luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service