Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Here is the scene. You are the officer in charge here and when you arrive this is what you see.

You have reports of possible victims in an early morning fire.

Now, this house is approximately 1600 square feet with a basement. Single story about 25-30 years old.

Based on your tactical priorities, start assigning these crews where it is most appropriate. Explain where and why you sent your crews there. Keep in mind you are a medium sized department that is a suburban island. Meaning that basically you have three trucks on the scene with this number of personnel.

Your next truck in is 10 minutes away. You have public water supply.

The neighbor got up to go to work and noticed smoke coming from the house next door. Exposure B and D are about 15 feet away on both sides.

What do you do?

http://firefightersenemy.com

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the smoke coming out of a basement/crawl space window, or is it coming out of the front door and banked to the floor. There doesn’t appear to be a working length of hose flaked out in front but everyone looks to be wrapped up and ready to work.
None of the windows looked burnt; during the 360, did I see where the fire compartment was? Is the front door the shortest route to the seat of the fire or is the fire just inside? Is there an outside access to the basement/crawl space? I would really love a look at the rest of the house! Have the utilities been secured? How many D/Os and Officers are outside to handle RIT?

If the house is how I picture it and we are attacking from the unburnt side: get a second line to the front. 3 man attack crew under an Officer; fan to the door, charge and test flow the nozzle (if it's an adjustable/ fog nozzle), 2 man outside vent crew to the side of the house where the fire room is located. Attack orders a vent of the fire room, attack applies PPA. Attack crew moves toward the fire room. If the PPA is working, the two man vent crew takes the second hand line and does a primary in the other direction from attack.

The rest depends on if the hazard behaves and you get an all clear on the primary.

Probably missed something, but this is a great scenario!
Larry,
The smoke is coming from the main level. There is no fire showing on the 360. The front door is fine since we don't have any reason to believe a better access is necessary. There is a bulk head access to the basement from side C. I don't have any additional pics, but just imagine smoke pushing from just about every seam. You are the officer and you are telling those five what to do.

Your doing fine, keep it up.

Larry Lasich said:
Is the smoke coming out of a basement/crawl space window, or is it coming out of the front door and banked to the floor. There doesn’t appear to be a working length of hose flaked out in front but everyone looks to be wrapped up and ready to work.
None of the windows looked burnt; during the 360, did I see where the fire compartment was? Is the front door the shortest route to the seat of the fire or is the fire just inside? Is there an outside access to the basement/crawl space? I would really love a look at the rest of the house! Have the utilities been secured? How many D/Os and Officers are outside to handle RIT?

If the house is how I picture it and we are attacking from the unburnt side: get a second line to the front. 3 man attack crew under an Officer; fan to the door, charge and test flow the nozzle (if it's an adjustable/ fog nozzle), 2 man outside vent crew to the side of the house where the fire room is located. Attack orders a vent of the fire room, attack applies PPA. Attack crew moves toward the fire room. If the PPA is working, the two man vent crew takes the second hand line and does a primary in the other direction from attack.

The rest depends on if the hazard behaves and you get an all clear on the primary.

Probably missed something, but this is a great scenario!
Well, if there is a basement, I want to look at it before I send anyone in over a fire.
That would be appropriate. Nice job.

Larry Lasich said:
Well, if there is a basement, I want to look at it before I send anyone in over a fire.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service