Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I have a question. If you are told to advance to the roof of a house, you advance, position the roof ladder and set it. You then notice that the pitch of the roof is steep and the roof ladder is not long enough to cover the entire length of the roof. How do you safely go about positioning an extension for the roof ladder in place?

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is no such thing. So you don't!

If you were in a "how to make a raft from soda bottles" mode, you can push it over the ridgeline w/ a pike pole and then pull yourself up w/ the pole.

Stupid to do. Safety first.
I appreciate the reply. I was thinking you would be able to get a second roof ladder from a second in engine and flip it onto the back side. Then put the hooks on the last rung of the already deployed roof ladder. I have never seen it done, I'm not saying it's safe either. It is a possibility that it could be an option as long as the integrity of the roof is not reduced. I would think that it might be difficult to sound a roof and pull yourself up with a pike pole at the same time. Then again I have never attempted the pike pole manuver before. Sounds like a good evolution to run. Once agian thanks for the reply.
Well if you were to go get a second roof ladder then you might as well get one that does the job right.
Juan Reynoso said:
I appreciate the reply. I was thinking you would be able to get a second roof ladder from a second in engine and flip it onto the back side. Then put the hooks on the last rung of the already deployed roof ladder. I have never seen it done, I'm not saying it's safe either. It is a possibility that it could be an option as long as the integrity of the roof is not reduced. I would think that it might be difficult to sound a roof and pull yourself up with a pike pole at the same time. Then again I have never attempted the pike pole manuver before. Sounds like a good evolution to run. Once agian thanks for the reply.

First, never have it be said that you got one of your guys hurt while training.
Second, if you roll the second ladder over you would only engage one hook, unless you have wider ladders then standard. The ladder would skew and the other hook would, or at least could, overload. It sure as heck isn't NFPA compliant.

Call for a bucket or stay of teh roof.
matt days said:
Well if you were to go get a second roof ladder then you might as well get one that does the job right. That is if you have a longer roof ladder otherwise use the aerial or think about horizontal ventilation.
The IFSTA manual on ground ladders has instructions on how to lash 2 roof ladders together for large roofs, such as churches, etc. Our longest is a 20. I've seen them as long as 30 in catalogs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service