Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am in the very early stages of writing a article. I am looking for information on what kind of cutbacks your department has taken during this recession. Has your department started brownouts, closing companys, layoffs, reduced staffing, givin up raises or givin money back? How has your members reacted to these cutbacks, and what are you or your department doing to keep morale up during these diffcult times.
Thank you for your time,
Billy Lewis
Sacramento Fire Department
you can also e-mail me at billy2dawgs@netscape.net

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Billy, One of the effects of the recession had on my Dept. , is that we put off going to the Citizens for a Bond Issue for monies to build a New Training Center, a new Station and either moving or rebuilding another Station. Also to be included in the Bond was money for a Fireboat, and some Engines. Overall we are in pretty good shape, as we are a Fire District that is a Junior taxing District. We went out for a vote to secure our funding for 6 yrs ( Initiative that was passed years ago capped taxes, Voters have to approve increases) So we are able to collect up to 106% of assessed property values. We don't have to compete with any other agencies for this money. So I guess this makes us not the norm of Most Cities. Our Dept Covers 2 different Cities, and unincorporated county. If you want anymore info, feel free to contact me.

Take Care Brother, Sven
South king Firefighter
Puget Sound Fool
Billy,
This past July we eliminated 14 positions and closed our Heavy Rescue company and an EMS Shift Supervisors position. Luckily we didnt lay anyone off, the city offered an early buy out for anybody that was close to retirement and 12 of the brothers took the plan so we didnt have to send any of the 18 guys we had just hired home. We lost the other 2 positions through attrition. The impact this has had on us as a department is felt on every box, motor vehicle accident and technical rescue that we go on. The chief put extrication equipment on two engines on opposite ends of the city to cover the MVA's but we're running on boxes with three less men and the Ladder companies have a small amount of rope rescue equipment to cover that. Our guys are pretty disgruntled about losing the truck, which they've been fighting to get in service and staffed properly for years. If you've got any more questions or would like to discuss this more in depth feel free to email me at AJB118@gmail.com . If not hopefully I'll meet you in York at convention in June.

Adam

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service