Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

This is a very important topic, but very hard for a smaller town to accomplish. I agree that it needs to be in place, but how do we do this when we pull up with 4 on the rig and the next unit in is 5-7 minutes out? The Chief and driver of the engine cannot be the 2 out, per OSHA . So do I keep the third guy outside to be with the Chief and forgo a safer line stretch or search or vent? Is this safe for us? Short of hiring more people, (yeah right), how do we comply and still make a good safe attack and perform a good search for life?

I hope I am not coming off as un-educated or not knowing, but this is a huge topic in my MABAS Division right now. Not to mention my D/C just got back from an OSHA seminar, so the questions are flying.

So my question is what are you guys doing to cover this subject?

Any info will be great.
Thanks,
Joe

Views: 305

Replies to This Discussion

Joe -

I had a good discussion with your D/C yesterday on this topic, and of course I can only speak to our experience with 2 in/2out (IRIC) and RIT teams. I think something to keep in mind is that there are activities that the IRIC can perform to support the fire attack without crossing the line into the IDLH and having to mask up. In our system this can include tasks such as securing water supply, horizontal ventilation, deploying backup line to front door, throwing the 24' to the front of the building, forcible entry to a rear door, etc. A key item then is to not cross the line to where they are so involved in a task that they are not available (or are too wiped out) for their main function. Because we only intend the IRIC to be the initial RIT for the first several minutes, another key item is early recognition of the need to upgrade the alarm and get a full RIT company enroute, and our IC's do a good job with this. Once the pre-designated RIT arrives on team and sets up the IRIC is usually re-assigned to another function on the fireground.

Another key for us was that when we implemented the IRIC and RIT policies (and especially the IRIC variance memo) the Chief and I did a training session with all shifts and companies to explain what we were trying to accomplish. Over time, like many other things, a lot of the intial concerns and negative perceptions became less and after 2 1/2 years it is more of a matter of routine in our system.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service