Where firefighters come to talk training

Here's a couple to get started

1. There are no time-outs or do-overs in this buisness
2. Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm -- Emerson
3. No one respects the flame like the fool who's badly burned -- Pete Townsend
4. To go nowhere, follow the crowd
5. It only takes a solitary light to lead a thousand ships in from the darkness
6. Anger is only 1 letter short of danger
7. Do not follow in the footsteps of others, instead, create a new trail and leave a path

many more to follow
stay safe

Views: 8192

Replies to This Discussion

The Best Way To Impove The Team is:
To Improve Yourself !
The secret to managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are unsure
-- Casey Stengel
A turkey was chatting with a bull:
"I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree," sighed the turkey, "but I haven't got the energy." "
Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull.
"They're packed with nutrients."
The turkey pecked at a lump of dung and found that it actually gave him enough strength to reach the first branch of the tree.
The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch.
Finally after a fourth night there, he was proudly perched at the top of the tree.
He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot the turkey out of the tree.

Moral of the story: B******* might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there.
"I frequently remind the men of my truck company, 'You may not fight fire every day or every week like they do in the Bronx or in L.A., but fire here won't care; it doesn't know you're not a New Yorker, and it won't wait for you to explain, but it'll expect you to start actin' like one.'" — Captain Ben Fleagle, firefighter in Alaska
Never share a line with some one braver than you...
one of the best i've ever heard:

A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him.
Ok I cant remember who all said what, but I’m sure I ripped most of these off from somebody.

To the truck guy: “I’d rather have a sister in a whore house, than a brother on a truck company.”

To the rescue guy: “don’t park the tool box in the way of the real fire trucks.”

“Yeah it’s going to be hard, but that’s why were firefighters, not girl scouts.”

“I’m all about the team concept, its just that some players on the team are better than others.”
“oh so I guess you guys are supposed to be the first team all Americans then.”
“that’s why there’s a big number one on the side of the truck.”

To E-2: "good job" - from the movie Hancock.
3 of my favorites, also ripped off:

"Being in charge is alot like being pretty. If you have to tell people that you are...you're not!"

"If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough!"

"Just because you're certified, doesn't mean you're qualified." -oh so true!
Can remember where its from but I like it a lot.

Dont bring a knife to a gun fight but if you show up to a gunfight with a knife, don't call for more knives.

Josh Cox dont be made your stuck on E-1 one day you can come to the rescue,
To the engine guys: stop clogging up the door way, follow us and will show you the way to the fire.
"pow pow"
"Solve the problem yourself or accept a fate you may not like...from this perspective, the ethic of personal responsibility gains appeal." Noel M. Tichy
I HAVE NO AMBITION IN THIS WORLD BUT ONE, AND THAT IS TO BE A FIREMAN.

You have 2 Ears, 2 hands, 2 Feet and 1 Mouth. Use it proportionally!

The difference between a man and a boy is, a boy wants to grow up to be a fireman, but a man wants to grow up to be a giant monster fireman.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service