Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Just some thoughts on newer construction and size up. In watching buildings being constructed lately, I've noticed that the final product looks nothing like what is under the skin. It's not only trusses that are of concern. There are metal channel studs, foam filled pannels, laminated beams, brick faced facades, hurricane glass windows, etc. All of these components react differently to fire than their "traditional" counterparts. The question is, are we endangering ourselves by giving "traditional" size ups to buildings where we really don't know what is under the skin? Is a "woodframe residential" really a type V building anymore? How can we account for these new construction techniques and materials in our size up?

Views: 137

Replies to This Discussion

Brent,
I hear you loud and clear on pre-planning, and for target hazards it's a great idea. Getting to the construction site and seeing how buildings are being put together is also great for preplanning and training. However, does a trussed-out, hurricane windowed, building with insulated pannels as walls still get called a "woodframe residential" with smoke coming out of it at 3:00 A.M. ? It's a super tight building with light weight structural members and heavy fire load and, as statistics show, very hazardous for firefighters. Will our members recognize this building as such? Especially if it's a new house in an old neighborhood. You may be able to pre-plan a development, but what about those "rogue" buildings? Same thing with buildings down town. Just because it has bricks showing on the outside doesn't make it ordinary construction. A lot of the newer commercial construction in our city is built more like "non-combustible, light weight" construction. Worse yet, it will be stuck into a block of "ordinary" constructed buildings. I guess the dialogue I was hoping to get going had more to do with accuracy in size up. Call the building what it is, if you know, and don't mislead the troops if you don't. There was an article a few years back about "hybrid" construction that talked about the problems encountered with these buildings, but have we adjusted our size up to deal with this? Thanks for getting involved, and let me know what you think and what you've experienced. Stay safe, bro!
Chris

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service