Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

When using low or medium pressure air bags during a trench rescue (to fill in the voids behind the uprights), how much psi are you inflating them to? The max or just enough to take up the space? Also do you shoot the struts to half pressure then inflate the bags? Looking for how others do it.

Views: 410

Replies to This Discussion

Matt,

You should only inflate the bags to the point where they take up the space needed. If you over inflate you run the risk of deflecting the panels. The bag you are using may be larger than the space you are filling. Shooting the struts to half pressure is a good idea as well. Once the bags are inflated you can shoot the struts fully.

For more grab a copy of Fire-Rescue Magazine 5/2008 and read "Out of Thin Air", starts on pg 56. I wrote this because many people have asked the same question and other articles and books only tell you that "you can use low pressure air bags for trench rescue", and leave out the how part.

Hopefully that should help! Be Safe!

Steve
Thanks for the reply. Right after I posted the discussion, I did read the article. It seems like there is always some type of confusion using the bags. Thanks again.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service