Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

the artwork is attached -- sometimes the picture gives as much info as scenario.. ..or more

1210 Victory Drive -- the fire down the block

Construction and Area:
Victory Drive is lined with 2- ½ story wood frame residential dwellings. There are some older established homes and some newer homes. The construction of the wood frame dwellings varies dependent on the age of the structure. There is also some newer construction at the end of the block. Some of the new homes are occupied, some are not. Construction equipment is often left on the street overnight. Your firehouse is located on this block

Time and weather
It is 0332. The temperature is 77° and the humidity is 50%. It had been raining all day, but it has now stopped. It is breezy with a wind blowing from east to west.

Alarm Information
You have been awakened by loud knocking and screaming at the firehouse door. You immediately smell smoke and see a heavy smoke condition in the street. As you look down the block, you see what looks like a massive fire.

Exposures
There are exposures on both sides of the fire building separated by less than fifteen feet. Both are occupied

Response
You are the Officer of Engine 71 and will be in command until the Battalion Chief arrives. The response is two Engines and one Ladder Company. Staffing is an Officer and three firefighters on the Engines. An Officer and three firefighters respond on the Ladder. Yours is a single engine company house. The other first alarm companies are at least 5-7 minutes away.

1. What would be the first action you would take after looking down the block?
a. Establish Command
b. Make sure the other firefighters in the station are awake
c. Take a radio, walk down the block to better size-up the fire, notify Dispatch
d. Notify Dispatch via phone

2. Upon arrival, you find a 2-1/2 story wood frame residential dwelling fully involved in fire. The fire appeared to have started in one of the piles of construction debris and spread to the building. In regard to the time of day, what would be your most significant concern?
a. Life hazard in the fire building
b. Access to the fire building will be difficult
c. Lighting will be required
d. Ventilation will be difficult

3. If you could only stretch one hoseline, where would it go and what would be the objective?
a. To the fire building to knock down the heavy fire from the exterior. Operate the stream from outside of the collapse zone
b. Into the rear of the fire building to push the fire out the front windows
c. Into the Bravo exposure to protect the primary search
d. Flank the Bravo exposure, wash the combustible walls of the exposure and alternate the stream to also hit the main body of fire

4. You notice that the D exposure is beginning to steam. What action would you take?
a. Close windows in the exposure
b. Put water on the main body of fire to reduce the radiant heat
c. Place a stream on the exposed wall
d. Place a stream on wide fog between the fire building and the exposure

5. As you surveyed the scene shortly after arrival, you noticed what looked like several plastic gas cans next to the piled wood. This fire is being fought with exterior defensive streams. There is a significant amount of runoff being created from the streams. Your concern is that the gas cans will be washed away. What action can you take?
a. Notify the Arson Division
b. Place the cans on the apparatus and photograph them
c. Protect the cans in place
d. Move the cans. Document the movement

6. Suppose, upon arrival, instead of being the first-due Engine Officer, you were the Safety Officer. What would be your most significant concern?
a. Weather-related fatigue
b. Trip hazards caused by the debris
c. Ignition of the exposure
d. Early catastrophic collapse

7. Suppose the B exposure became involved. In spite of the primary search, someone shows at the large second floor window in the center of the 2nd floor. You are raising a ground ladder for rescue of the victim at the front window. Where would you place the tip of the ladder?
a. Just at or below the sill
b. 2-3 rungs inside the window opening
c. On the leeward side, just adjacent to the window
d. On the windward side just adjacent to the window

Answers by the end of the week

Good Luck
AA

Views: 247

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, I'll be the first to take a crack at it. Don't beat me up too much!

1. What would be the first action you would take after looking down the block?
I would first assure that the rest of the firehouse knows about the fire and call dispatch once we are on our way via the radio.

2. Upon arrival, you find a 2-1/2 story wood frame residential dwelling fully involved in fire. The fire appeared to have started in one of the piles of construction debris and spread to the building. In regard to the time of day, what would be your most significant concern?
With the rehab state of the neighborhood Life Hazards would be my first concern, but with the involvement of the house it will be very hard to send anyone in to do a search

3. If you could only stretch one hoseline, where would it go and what would be the objective?
With the way the wind is moving this fire i want to protect the Bravo exposure first. I would hit the exposure walls and try to knock down the fire on the fire building when possible

4. You notice that the D exposure is beginning to steam. What action would you take?
I would place a stream on the exposed walls to keep it cool.

5. As you surveyed the scene shortly after arrival, you noticed what looked like several plastic gas cans next to the piled wood. This fire is being fought with exterior defensive streams. There is a significant amount of runoff being created from the streams. Your concern is that the gas cans will be washed away. What action can you take?
I would try to photograph the cans before I moved them and then move them just far enough where they will be safe. I would also document the move and let the OFI guys know on their arrival

6. Suppose, upon arrival, instead of being the first-due Engine Officer, you were the Safety Officer. What would be your most significant concern?
Due to the possibility of accelerants used and the heavy amount of fire involved i would be concerned that the building will have early catastrophic failure while companies are working around the exposure buildings. The debris generated from all the construction is also a concern.

7. Suppose the B exposure became involved. In spite of the primary search, someone shows at the large second floor window in the center of the 2nd floor. You are raising a ground ladder for rescue of the victim at the front window. Where would you place the tip of the ladder?
Due to the size of the window I would place the ladder with 2-3 rungs inside the window to help facilitate getting the victim onto the ladder. Having something to hold onto while climbing onto the ladder can help put that victim at ease if they have problems with ladders in general.
here are the answers -- hope youse guys and gals did well
1. D Notifying your guys is good, notifying all the other guys is better -- firefighting is a team sport -- they are 5-7 minutes away as it is -- get em moving
2. C Fire bldg is fully involved -- no life hazard -- it's dark out -- light it up -- makes everybody's job safer
3. D Do the most good with 1 line -- better to lose 1 bldg than 2
4. C No water curtains!!
5. D Protect evidence and document
6. D check out the picture -- see the triangle with the "R" in it -- indicates truss roof
7. B big window, give em a handhold

looks like the submissions above did well -- good job
feel free to question (or argue -- depending on rank and part of country u r in!!)

new scenario by end of the week
stay safe out there
aa

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service