Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Here is one for all of you technical rescue folks.

This was emailed to me and I admit that I don’t know the origins or circumstances.

However, as you can see we have two problems with this scenario: the piece of equipment tilted and the boom in the house.

Let’s for the sake of a good drill say that the reason that the boom did this is because the operator had a medical emergency and is still in the cab. In addition, there are folks in the house trapped.

I know its a lot to think about, but hey, have fun with it. This is not my forte, but the picture was just too good not to use.

Let us know what you would do and how.

Thanks and stay safe.

Views: 323

Replies to This Discussion

Oh these do try me. My luck this would come out as a still. On arrival, fill out the first alarm assignment. Let's say I have a four man engine, for kicks. I'd send my Lt. and backstepper to attempt entry to the home for a quick grab if possible. I'd assume command and try to assess the operator, from a safe position. Stabilization is a priority, obviously, get my alarm office on that. Second engine in would be my truck, secure the utilities, etc. When my company get the folks out of the house, have them pull a preconnect saftey line to the house. 3rd due a line on the crane and check for fuel leak. By this time a chief should be there and relieve me, to rejoin my company after a face to face transfer of command. Jason, if you want more Brother, I could turn this one into a rescue task force assignment or more.

Be Safe
Jeff
No, that is good. This was more for fun and just a really cool picture. I'm with you, it probably would come in as a still here too.
Take care,
Jason

Jeff Schwering said:
Oh these do try me. My luck this would come out as a still. On arrival, fill out the first alarm assignment. Let's say I have a four man engine, for kicks. I'd send my Lt. and backstepper to attempt entry to the home for a quick grab if possible. I'd assume command and try to assess the operator, from a safe position. Stabilization is a priority, obviously, get my alarm office on that. Second engine in would be my truck, secure the utilities, etc. When my company get the folks out of the house, have them pull a preconnect saftey line to the house. 3rd due a line on the crane and check for fuel leak. By this time a chief should be there and relieve me, to rejoin my company after a face to face transfer of command. Jason, if you want more Brother, I could turn this one into a rescue task force assignment or more.

Be Safe
Jeff
I know some rescue guys that would love this everyday and they would still be typing..lol Thank God for them, I'm not a big Tech rescue guy, been on my share over the years, but I'll stick to a struture fire any day.

Stay Safe
Jeff
Wow! Got this earlier in an email and it had me thinking!

I would assume command, give an update, contact the crane company if not already there and request another crane ASAP! I would do like Jeff said and get even more people and equipment coming like hazmat and have my guys secure utilites and do a 360 on the house doing a visual for victims. There isn't really any heavy rescue stuff that we carry that will support this amount of weight or keep this crane from tipping anymore than it already has. I wouldn't even think of letting my guys in the area to even crib the tires. I would do a 360 and see if we could communicate with the operator verbally or on a radio from someone else on scene. Have my guys get handlines on the house and crane and hazmat pads and sorby maybe d*** the curb downstream as we already have things leaking and special call for some heavy timber. The house appears much more tenible and is worth acting on in locating victims. Unless you have a heavy tow truck you can call if the other crane is too slow there isn't much we can do safely without putting ourselves in harms way on the crane. We can have the aerial set up for a rescue of the crane operator when they arrive since it's unsafe to place any ladders or people on the crane until it's stabilized.

This is one excuse for using the "F" word!!!

Train!!!
i saw this over at the other site , glanced at it , but I replied to it over there. very interesting call. Sorta like something we had a few years ago at the County Highway. I will write it up and send it to you might prove interesting.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service