Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

On a fire the other night condition where that the regulators on the CBA'S became frozen and changing out the tank became almost impossible at times due to the amount of ice on the knobs. Any way to prevent icing of the regulators.

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to prevent it, but if you have flowing hot water or dip tanks to thaw the build up and good hot air blowers to dry them, it can clear it up in a hurry.
Thanks Larry we will get hot air blowers and give it try. Bob
Bob

This may seem odd but I once took an old pack a dunked into water and sat it outside to freeze. I then took a ladies hair dryer (cost effective) and then pack thawed rather quickly. Our trucks are set up with electrical outlets on the sides, so the hair dryer could be plugged into the truck. I know, I know it sounds corny! It is a cheap but effective way to thaw your pack.
Try it and let me know how it works for you

Todd McKee
The hot water will take the ice off the connection in a hurry, but the blower will dry the connection for the next evolution.

Hot air blowers are a whole lot better than Engine exhaust and I've seen that also. Let me know what kind of blower you go with and how well it worked.

Larry

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service