Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Ok guys I know this may sound like a silly question but in North Little Rock, AR, we don't have a lot of highrise buildings. Our tallest building is twelve stories and there are only ten or so that are taller than 5 stories. So needless to say we don't fight many fires using standpipes so when we have one it may not be done smoothly.

I am a training officer and am in the process of trying to make some changes in the department. One of these changes is to reconstruct a highrise pack that will work for us. I've picked up several things from other discussions but I figured I would ask some people that use them on a regular basis.

I would appreciate any information.

Views: 275

Replies to This Discussion

Wesley, I highly recommend Chief Dave McGrail's book on Fighting Fire in High-Rise and Standpiped Buildings. It really explains just about everything you could want when re-evaluating current SOPs. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip.
When you say High Rise Pack are you talking about the tools you would need? Some of the tools to include in a standpipe kit (Bag) are.
Door chocks (wedges)
16" Alum Pipe wrench
Valve Wheel
Pressure Gauge
Extra Nozzle (In case first one melts)
Spanners
Marker or chalk
Outlet cap
Other items to consider
Elbow
Hand tool or lump hammer
F tool
Locking Plyers
Your hose should be assembled in easy to carry and deployable bundle(s). I like the FDNY fold best.
The key here is your own statement- '...needless to say we don't fight many fires using standpipes so when we have one it may not be done smoothly."

The truth is, when it has to be done, it has to be done right. With the potential for wind to add to the equation it must be drilled on regularly. As with many topics this is true. What's the G rated axiom? " One 'Oh fudge', takes out a hunded 'atta-boys'."

You must go to (all) the buildings and build a plan for what works best- one of the key issues is * How much hose will you need to get to the farthest part of the fire floor ( hopefully from the floor below). You can have everything and be trained, but if you have 100 feet of hose and it's 175 feet to the fire- game over.
I do however suggest a straight or smooth bore nozze for this operation.

If you put what you've come up with we can then make suggestions- but whatever you have to make sure threy train on it and it works. If it looks beautiful and doesn't work it's time to go back to the drawing board....

R

P.S. I do agree with R.M. on the roll up & standpipe kit, but we both are intimately drilled on it as second nature.....

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service