Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I've run across different SOP's while teaching in regards to safety lines for confined space rescue. Some teams use a seperate safety for each rescuer, and some use one line with all rescuers attached to it, with some slack between each rescuer to facilitate eash removal. What's the rest of the rescue world out there using and why?

Views: 334

Replies to This Discussion

Tim,

We do not use tag lines for Haz-Mat, but we do for many of our water operations. We use tethers for our divers running search and rescue operations, in swift water we use the releasable ring you were discussing allowing us to vector our rescuer(s), and use the current for movement and pendulum retreivals. We also use your 'live bait' technique for still water and ice rescues.

There are many ways to complete these jobs and SRT has its place (that statement may get us both yelled at..) Our rule of thumb is to evaluate each of our outside instructional agencies, and to keep open minds as to all of the different techniques. Our only caveat is that we try to stay somewhat standardized with other area teams that we may interact with. With that said, I ran into Jim Rigstad on this site from a team 30 miles away and we have never met... although Superior Fire is in a different state, our counties dive rescue team trains with theirs, but no one has pursued the tech rescue stuff.... Sounds like a good excuse anyway... There is always room to improve. Stay safe and keep learning.
Kevin Thanks

I have only trained in swift water but I am at lest aware of the others you mentioned. I guess Tag lines are used more than I thought.
As for the rope SRT has been around for years the fire service is not doing something new. If I arrive 2nd in I ask my self: Is it safe, will it work, and is it efficient. If the answer is yes go with it.
Kevin our policies let us use a single line rappel to access a patient for medical evaluation and treatment. We use a tactical rappel that has a self belay. Extra Care is taken to protect the rope over sharp edges. For patient removal a belay line is always in place.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service