Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Have you ever measured exactly how wide your outriggers farthest point from the opposite outrigger is when setting up? Full set up, not short setting or short j******.

I'm curious, on the amount of room required for manufacturer and type of aerial apparatus on the fireground. Please include with the measurement; manufacture, type (midmount, rear mount, TDA), or any other pertinent good information such as style of outriggers (H-style, A-style, X-style)The idea is, it's nice to pull up and with a mental tape measurer, know wether you can or cannot make the set up.

Views: 1303

Replies to This Discussion

1993 Pierce 100 ft platform with jack spread 19 feet using "H" outriggers. Add in the ground pads and that's another 20 or so inches.
Having used many E-Ones at FDIC they have a jack spread of 13&1/2 feet using "A" type outriggers and that is less than most "H" type with one side short-jacked.
My company's apparatus currently is a '96 LTI 110' Rear Mount Straight Stick with "H" style outriggers. The exact measurement from outside foot to outside foot is 16' 8". Round up to 17' with ground pads and such and it's just another thing to keep in mind when you as the D/O, Chauffeur, Engineer, A/O roll into the fire block to set up.
We have rear mount tower with a 19' spread. H-style.
What I do is. During my morning check I set the outriggers up and then get back in the drivers seat. Then I look in both my side mirrors and place a mental mark on the mirror where the outriggers are at. Then when we arrive on a scene I will look in the mirrors when spotting the tower and make sure I have the room to deploy the outriggers. This has worked quite well even in a small parking lot in an apartment complex where we have to put the outriggers between cars.
STAY SAFE Brother.
Now that is a pretty slick idea, that I haven't heard of or thought of.
My only thought is when spotting the turntable, if it doesn't fit (outrigger width), you are already committed "in it". I guess you could keep pulling forward, but then potentially your aren't spotted in the "best" position.
What have you found with that situation? Though, I'm guessing that 95% of the time it works great.
Most of the time I have had to back into these spots, and I would position the truck so I can short jack it. I always make sure the turntable is where I want it.
Aaaaah! Backing in, now that makes sense doesn't it!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service