Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Fencing pliers and vise grips

Views: 715

Replies to This Discussion

There are some great lists of tools and the reasoning behind them. I only have one comment and it pertains to the leatherman type tool...isnt kinda difficult to operate it with gloves on?
Left Coat Pocket
lLghtweight work gloves
Door wedge

Right Coat Pocket
Medical gloves

Radio Pocket
Safety glasses

Inside coat pocket
Earbud for radio
Trauma shears

Left pant pocket
Adjustable wrench
Universal screwdriver
1" stack tip
Vice grip w/ chain
(2) door wedges
Folding spanner

Right Pant Pocket
Heavyduty wirecutters
15 foot loop of webbing
Extra pelican flashlight
Door wedge

On my coat I have a cheap plastic clip that can be ripped off that holds my glove strap and a folding knife that I can get to easily. On my pants I have a Colorado Truck Belt with bailout harness and carabiner.
radio pocket
- Wire cutters batter cable type
- Cigar

Mic holder
- 4" folding pocket knife

Left Coat pocket
- Vice grips with a leash attatched
- window punch

Right Coat pocket
- 2 2.5" gaskets
- 2- 1.5" gaskets
- short hose strap used for tying off the halyard if I don't have enough halyard to tie off with.
- cheat sheet pump chart
- 3 wood door wedges

Inside coat pocket
- Cigar cutter and matches
- calculator (double check numbers on large flows)
- Gum
- Ear plugs

Right Pants Pocket
- small tool bag
- Multi bit screw driver
- Leatherman type tool
- alan wrenches
- 2 spanners
- leather work gloves
- cheat sheet pump chart
- 4 Rubber door latch controllers

Left Pants pocket
- Back up pelican flashlight
- 2 Large hose straps
- 10' of webbing

Gut belt
- structure gloves on a strap
- Bail out bag 40' of kevlar rope

Helmet
- Garrity light
- 2 wood door wedges
- 4 16 penny nails
Recently after a 3rd alarm and 2nd alarm back to back, I have decided to downsize what I actually carry in my turn-out pockets. That's not to say i don't carry all those tools with me. I have taken to carrying all those tools in a compartmentalized toolbag with a shoulder strap. This works in my favor two-fold. 1st it minimizes the weight that I am carrying constantly...allowing me to drop the bag at the door once I have utilized task specific tools. And it allows me to open a compartment in the bag and get what I need while looking at it...as opposed to feeling for it in my pockets with a gloved hand. Keeping in mind that I still carry a "tool", a rope bag, and a light...as well as minimal stuff in my pockets, i.e.- Door chocks, mini multi-purpose screwdriver and slip lock pliers with the handles forged and bent into key tools and some webbing. The weight drop is amazing... nothing clanging in bunkers, and no bulging coat pockets...And if I need I still have it.
If I am lucky lots of plaster chunks and dust.
hahaha, spoken like a true engine guy! lol
LOL..

Atta boy Loo!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service