Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How do you notify members of the dept. regarding dangerous building conditions? Is it effective? Are mutual aid departments considered?

Views: 164

Replies to This Discussion

We don't really have a formal process for this situation. In the past, this has mostly been done by word of mouth to the crews and stations. Unfortunately not everyone received the information. Many times these conditions are found on calls and are passed onto our building inspectors. Sometimes they will post a memo at the stations regarding these conditions to all personnel. On a recent medical call to a converted apartment building, we found a person living in extremely dangerous conditions. I had seen a memo that a dept had posted on www.vententersearch.com and I adapted that for our use. (Thanks guys!) It was a great memo and was very effective. We went back to the apartment and took pictures of the building and the best ways to access this person in case of a fire. These pics were posted with the memo and posted at our stations for all to see. We also talked about starting a file on our computers so they can always be accessed, even on scene.
in NOrth Hudson, we use a Hazardous Vacant Building Marking system that is SOP-driven. Documentation is passed to companies, Dispatch to be included in CADS and Dispatch info and copies go to the building official of each town. In my old dept we used an exceptional building report that was placed on an arch board for all to see. Sometimes we put out memos with pics so personnel can see the building and maybe a hazard and then go check it out. The key is to have a mechanism in place to pass onthe info
good deal
stay safe
have attached a copy of a HVB memo The exceptional building report can be found on pg 385
Attachments:
That's great that your dispatch will give you that info. That is an awesome memo also. Here's an example of what we did:
Attachments:
add some pics to these if you can
they show what words can never show and miost guys like pics better than words
they will always look at the pics
they rarely read all the words
stya safe
We seem to have enough trouble just letting all of our folks know about current information. There are so many things that I pick up from talking about issues, it really makes my to-do list longer than ever. Still, thanks for the idea.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service